Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Tart of Darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree about enjoying every ounce of Black Tuesday, I was trying to decide how much to use, I want to use 8-12oz but would probably only end up using just enough to cover the oak.

I believe you are correct about them using the bourbon barrels for one batch of Black Tuesday then filling it back up with Tart of Darkness

Definitely would sanitize a jar first then soak them covered.

Thanks again for the info, I'll make sure to come back in six to ten months to report my results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #32
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Anyone have any results yet? I pitched ecy-20 instead of roselare and it was pretty sour after a month. After about 4 months now it is starting to develop some complexity. Still wondering about the bottle bomb thing since its only down to 1.017. Guess I can let it ride for a while.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #33
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just moved recently after it being in the primary for only four months, I was wanting to age it for 6-8. I decided to transfer into a keg sucking up as much of the yeast as I could and purge the O2 with CO2. I took a little taste and it was great, a little on the light side for a sour but almost there. I'm hoping to age it in the keg at least another 3-4 months on the little bit of yeast I was able to get in there. It actually tasted so good that I'm tempted to leave the oak cubes out of it. Maybe I'll split it into two kegs and throw the cubes into one of them. Didn't get enough for a gravity reading, hoping it made the move ok.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyneyr View Post
The kit does not include the yeast, but does include a 2oz package of oak "bourbon chunks."

Grain:
10 lbs American Pale
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Flaked Oats
8 oz Black Roasted
6 oz Chocolate

Hops:
.5 oz Czech Saaz (60 minutes)

Also includes:
1 Whirfloc tablet
4 oz corn sugar

***edit****
The paperwork also includes the extract information which replaces the 10 lbs American Pale with 8 lbs Ultralight LME.
I'm trying to put this together in BrewSmith, and had a few questions:

1. Is the "8 oz Black Roasted" Black Patent or Black Barley?
2. What is the batch size?
3. Fermentation temp says 65-68*, is that for the whole 12 months, or can I leave it at about those temps for about 4 weeks and move to closer to 75* (to free up space in my ferm chamber)?

Cheers and many thanks!

Reason: More questions!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat0304

I'm trying to put this together in BrewSmith, is the "8 oz Black Roasted" Black Patent or Black Barley?

Cheers and many thanks!
I believe it's Black Barley un-malted and heavily roasted. Black Patent is malted barley that's been heavily roasted.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
I made an American stout that finished to high for my liking so I am going to try Roeselare in it and see what happens.
Similarly, I brewed a foreign export stout based on a recipe from Ron Pattinson's site. It stalled around 1.020 for some reason, and then picked upa brett infection. I added WLP665 to it and other than adding sour dregs over time, I just let it alone for 10 months.

In July I decided to rack it onto 12#'s of tart cherries that looked to good to resist. The sample at that time tasted phenomenal. Sort of like a flanders with a touch of chocolate and coffee.

Can't wait to see what the cherries add to that equation.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #37
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I got this started yesterday and have a question:

I started late and was pretty worn out by the end of the brew day. So instead of letting the break material, et al, settle to the bottom of the kettle, it all went into the fermenter. Will having done this hurt the final product after sitting on it for a year or so?

I was also a few gravity points low on my original gravity, but I\'m not really concerned about that.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's a dirty little secret. Breweries transfer some break material too as well as hop material and even *gasp* hop seeds. In most cases, with a conical, they might dump the crap off in a day or two just to get the gunk out, and sometimes it stays until they start dumping yeast. Plus if its break from chilling it ALL goes into the fermentor since in most cases (pretty much all but I'm sure there are some small nano like places that chill and whirlpool or something and would make me a liar) they chill on the way to fermentor. So don't worry.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #39
watsonian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default recipe on brewtoad

for those searching in the future, i found the morebeer kit recipe on brewtoad

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/tart...ur-stout-clone

Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #40
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wow, here we are over nine months after brewing this beer and moving places right in between. Like I mentioned in a previous post when I moved I had to move the beer from the primary glass carboy to a keg blanketed with CO2. I tried to suck up as much of the yeast as I could but left at least 1/3-1/2 of it behind. It sat in the primary for around 3-4 months, then another 4-5 months in the keg for a total of 8 months.

The taste was great, I could taste the tart of darkness in it but it was probably 20-30% of the tartness, it was way too light. Pulling it off that primary yeast definitely affected the sourness. I threw the pack of oak in and left it for 4 1/2 weeks. I racked it to a second keg to get it off the leftover yeast and the oak. The flavor really improved quite a bit, the oak added another layer of depth to the flavor that brought it even closer to tart of darkness other than it lacking sourness. The oak comes through just a touch heavy at the end but I'm guessing that's due to lack of sour to balance it out.

I'm thinking about adding a little lactic acid to it to try and sour it up a little more but I've never done this before. I'm very nervous to do this to a beer I've been aging for nearly 10 months now. It's very drinkable but is almost too drinkable for a sour, you could really chug this thing. I'm force carbing right now so taking that a little higher will help with the mouth feel.

Will update on how the lactic acid test goes.

Quick Reply