Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Stupid Question - Maybe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Stupid Question - Maybe

The Wyeast smackpaks have a nutrient to get the yeast ready to go when pitched. (As an aside, does anyone know what it is?)

I've got a pack of 3278 (Lambic Blend). Since this is not just sacc, but a blend of Sacc, Brett, Pedio, Lacto and Sherry Flor, would I be better off not smacking the pack. The idea is that I want the yeast to get off to a slow start, and allow some of the bugs to try and get a head start. I'm sure the pack has the same nutrient, which is designed for yeast; not sure if it is beneficial for anything else in the pack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

If you want a fairly sour beer, the better way is smack the pack, and make a small starter for a day, letting the bacteria out run the sacch

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq
If you want a fairly sour beer, the better way is smack the pack, and make a small starter for a day, letting the bacteria out run the sacch
I'm not sure how effective this would be. The best way would be to mash very high (158F) to leave lots of long chain sugars for the Brett and bacteria to feed on in the long term.

Also, keep in mind that brett will start to fizzle out at around a pH of 3.4, so if the pedio and lacto get too much of a head start, you'll wind up getting down in pH more quickly, and the brett flavors won't be as prominent.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Last edited by CadillacAndy; 12-14-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: More info

Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

On the brewing network, Sunday Session 12-02, they did a whole show on Brett with Flat Tail Brewing Company. It was enlightening for me, it might be of value to you.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/927

P.S. in case you haven't listened to this show before, fast forward through the first hour of the show. That part is just "boy's being boy's" The meat is all after the first commercial break.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

cadillacandy Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I smack it for 3728 - seems to work out for me.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ooo I'll have to listen to that, yay Flat Tail!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy

I'm not sure how effective this would be. The best way would be to mash very high (158F) to leave lots of long chain sugars for the Brett and bacteria to feed on in the long term.

Also, keep in mind that brett will start to fizzle out at around a pH of 3.4, so if the pedio and lacto get too much of a head start, you'll wind up getting down in pH more quickly, and the brett flavors won't be as prominent.
Lacto and Pedio don't chew on bugs long term. They eat quick and vigorous, so you're wrong

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq

Lacto and Pedio don't chew on bugs long term. They eat quick and vigorous, so you're wrong
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Lacto and pedio are bacteria (bugs). They are able to chew thru the long chain sugars, so by having wort with lots of long chain sugars, you give them food after the sacch dies off. Since they produce lactic acid, it will lower the pH. Brett doesn't like anything lower than about 3.4, so it's a fine balance of what you're trying to accomplish.

Getting the bacteria up to fighting strength early on will drop your pH quickly and will decrease overall complexity of the beer. They go after the more simple sugar first, then move on to the more difficult stuff.

Also, wasn't trying to be argumentative

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Lacto and pedio are bacteria (bugs). They are able to chew thru the long chain sugars, so by having wort with lots of long chain sugars, you give them food after the sacch dies off. Since they produce lactic acid, it will lower the pH. Brett doesn't like anything lower than about 3.4, so it's a fine balance of what you're trying to accomplish.

Getting the bacteria up to fighting strength early on will drop your pH quickly and will decrease overall complexity of the beer. They go after the more simple sugar first, then move on to the more difficult stuff.

Also, wasn't trying to be argumentative
From the lab stuff I've done, I've seen bacteria drop a gravity point or less after primary fermentation. I was taught that lactic bacteria, at least are very quick to reproduce/complete mitosis and "ferment" lactic acid. Hmm.. Odd. You may be right but you can bottle a true berliner Weiss after fermentation even if you havent pasteurized. Never make bottle bombs like Brett. All the best

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
From the lab stuff I've done, I've seen bacteria drop a gravity point or less after primary fermentation. I was taught that lactic bacteria, at least are very quick to reproduce/complete mitosis and "ferment" lactic acid. Hmm.. Odd. You may be right but you can bottle a true berliner Weiss after fermentation even if you havent pasteurized. Never make bottle bombs like Brett. All the best
Agree 100% about the Berliner. That's usually just Lactobacillus - no Pedio. Pediococcus is what produces most of the sourness in a Lambic or Flanders Red and that and Brett is what gets your gravity down in the lower ranges after extended aging.

My concern with getting the Lacto awake and fighting too early in the fermentation process would be the pH. Like I said earlier, if your pH drops too low, too quickly, you're going to end up with a sour beer that's lacking the complexity that you're going for with a Lambic or Flanders Red because the Brett will sissy out at a pH of around 3.4.

By leaving a more dextrinous wort (higher mash temps, unmalted wheat, etc) you're leaving lots of food for the pedio and brett to eat long after the sacch (and I suspect the lacto) have run out of fuel. This will give you more complexity and sourness, without producing just lactic acid early on in the process.

I'm not a scientist or anything, but have been researching and reading everything I possibly can on "wild fermenation", so if I'm posting incorrect info, please correct me.

Cheers!

Quick Reply