The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Stepping up Jolly Pumpkin and Crooked Stave dregs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
mattoak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
You stepped it up too fast. Also, what was grav on the wort? You want 1.015ish for the first step.
Didn't realize it needed a long time at low volume I thought a day would be good. Is this for all dregs or Brett in particular since its a slower working yeast?

Also, probably went too high on the OG of the wort. Went with a normal starter OG so around 1.04ish? I did 10g DME per 100mL, didn't bother taking gravity.

I am seeing a good deal of chunks floating around in there now though, so I'm pretty sure the yeast are doing something. It also doesn't smell like anything, so I guess that could be good or bad. Did I stress them too much or should I be good as long as they multiply? Is it possible to take a new, small sample and propagate that up the right way or should I not worry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
Didn't realize it needed a long time at low volume I thought a day would be good. Is this for all dregs or Brett in particular since its a slower working yeast?

Also, probably went too high on the OG of the wort. Went with a normal starter OG so around 1.04ish? I did 10g DME per 100mL, didn't bother taking gravity.

I am seeing a good deal of chunks floating around in there now though, so I'm pretty sure the yeast are doing something. It also doesn't smell like anything, so I guess that could be good or bad. Did I stress them too much or should I be good as long as they multiply? Is it possible to take a new, small sample and propagate that up the right way or should I not worry?
Correct, brett needs a week to ten days under ideal conditions. Correct again, 10gDME / per 100mL should be about 1.040.

If you're seeing some activity, that might be a good sign. It could be from contamination though. I'd let it ride and see what you get. If it's not what you want, you'll just have to drink more Orval.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
mattoak
Recipes 

Thanks. So about a week later and I definitely had something going on. There is a nice layer of sediment settled to the bottom, and now a sludge layer of something around the inside of the glass at surface level with some white spots of fungus or bacteria looking infection floating around on the surface. I still have foil over it and haven't put an airlock on it yet. It also doesn't smell sour or bad at all, just kind of smells like nothing with a bit of mustiness, but not funky or off. Too scared to taste it lol. I don't know what I should do with it now...?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
stazon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm curious about this. I've often wondered what the real value in harvesting dregs from your favorite beers is. If the flavors you enjoy are products of lacto, pedio, brett, etc and you harvest the dregs, in a 1.040 starter, wouldn't the balance of those bugs in concert be thrown off because only the sacc takes off and everything else chokes, leading to imbalance?

Quick Reply