Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Starter with Roselare?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
jhimstedt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just to reiterate what has been stated above, if reusing the cake without adding more bugs or sacc gets even better results than the first use, then making a starter doesn't seem like it can hurt at all. Am I missing something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #32
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2663 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 304

I don't think it's necessary. I recently brewed a split batch 10 gallons total. I was having a rare moment of cheapskate-ness and only bought one (very fresh) pack. I had a large starter of Belgian yeast ready to go, but I split the pack of Roeselare between the two buckets a day before I pitched the big yeast. I had krausen overnight. Now, 3 months later, both the buckets look like this.

image-215325378.jpg  

Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimstedt View Post
Just to reiterate what has been stated above, if reusing the cake without adding more bugs or sacc gets even better results than the first use, then making a started doesn't seem like it can hurt at all. Am I missing something?
I'm on gen 3 of my Roeselare yeast. Gen 1 produced a fantastic oud bruin that is in month 9 right now. Gen 2 produced a berlinerweisse that took only 1 month to taste nice and sour. Gen 3 went into a pilsner malt based sour that was very sour after only 1 month, and I plan on giving it another 5 months on the cake before adding some fruit to age for another few months.

So the bugs get more and more effective with each pitch. All depends on what you're going for.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti_mo

I'm on gen 3 of my Roeselare yeast. Gen 1 produced a fantastic oud bruin that is in month 9 right now. Gen 2 produced a berlinerweisse that took only 1 month to taste nice and sour. Gen 3 went into a pilsner malt based sour that was very sour after only 1 month, and I plan on giving it another 5 months on the cake before adding some fruit to age for another few months.

So the bugs get more and more effective with each pitch. All depends on what you're going for.
How long has each generation been working for? The full aging time, or are you racking to secondary and reusing it after a month or two? I'm trying to get a handle on how quickly the bugs and Brett dominate.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #35
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
How long has each generation been working for? The full aging time, or are you racking to secondary and reusing it after a month or two? I'm trying to get a handle on how quickly the bugs and Brett dominate.
The oud bruin was aged in primary on the yeast/bacteria cake for 6 months before transferring to secondary. I then put the berlinerweisse onto the oud bruin cake immediately, and this aged for one month before bottling. I then put the most recent sour onto this yeast cake, and its been going for about two months. I plan to let it go to six months before transferring to secondary with fruit. Not sure if I'm going to push it one more generation, I'll probably wait and see if this third batch has gotten ridiculously sour by six months.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #36
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti_mo

The oud bruin was aged in primary on the yeast/bacteria cake for 6 months before transferring to secondary. I then put the berlinerweisse onto the oud bruin cake immediately, and this aged for one month before bottling. I then put the most recent sour onto this yeast cake, and its been going for about two months. I plan to let it go to six months before transferring to secondary with fruit. Not sure if I'm going to push it one more generation, I'll probably wait and see if this third batch has gotten ridiculously sour by six months.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Quick Reply