Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Starter with Roselare?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
sundowner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprokop View Post
I rack after only about a week for my flemish reds, as Wild Brews suggests getting Reds off of the trub for bulk aging
Jeff actually recommends leaving it until visible signs of fermentation have finished. That's much longer than a week.

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just pitched my Roselare blend last weekend on my Flanders Red. I asked Wyeast about using a starter--they specifically told me "no." Of course, I can't help but meddle--so, I added maybe half a pack of dry, non-rehydrated Notty when I pitched the Roselare pack, just to help the primary stage Sacc. fermentation along. I'm sure it wasn't necessary, but I figured "what the hell." I'm not exactly a stickler for the rules or BJCP guidelines for that matter...

Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #23
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dc metro? nice avatar too

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #24
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to revive this old thread. If I want to use Roselare all the way through, but I also want to add blackberries, when would be the best time to add blackberries to a flemish brown?

I was thinking about primary normal with Abbey yeast, then transfer when done and add the blackberries and the roselare and let it sit for 6-8 months. Then I was going to transfer over and put on oak chips for 6 months. What do yall think about this? Thanks.

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #25
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have made successful flemish brews with the roeselare blend by pitching it directly into the primary and waiting about a month and transferring to secondary (with boiled oak cubes) and letting it sit for about seven months. I would then put in your fruit after seven months to a year. I've also made some very, very sour beers on the old dregs of the flemish brews.

The only time you should primary with a sacc strain is if you are going to age your beer in a barrel.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #26
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for your response. I did that today and am looking forward to it.

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #27
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael
The only time you should primary with a sacc strain is if you are going to age your beer in a barrel.
Why do you say this?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #28
weremichael
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Why do you say this?
This is based off of what I have learned from Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin. The primary in steel is with sacc. and then they put their sours into barrels. Well cared for barrels allow o2 into the process and have a very healthy supply of bugs, which makes the beers funkier. If they didn't do the sacc. primary, the beers would be too funky.

When fermenting in a glass/plastic carboy, the o2 intake is so low that the sacc. primary is an unnecessary step. All the sacc. that you need for fermentation is in the Roeselare blend. Also, if you did ferment with a sacc. strain first, it would not leave enough sugars for the bugs to make the beer funky.

Reason: grammar

Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 AM   #29
Waylit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default O2 With Roselare?

Should I oxygenate my wort when pitching Roselare as my primary yeast?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #30
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
This is based off of what I have learned from Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin. The primary in steel is with sacc. and then they put their sours into barrels. Well cared for barrels allow o2 into the process and have a very healthy supply of bugs, which makes the beers funkier. If they didn't do the sacc. primary, the beers would be too funky.

When fermenting in a glass/plastic carboy, the o2 intake is so low that the sacc. primary is an unnecessary step. All the sacc. that you need for fermentation is in the Roeselare blend. Also, if you did ferment with a sacc. strain first, it would not leave enough sugars for the bugs to make the beer funky.
To clarify, you are referring to Roselare specifically, since its a blend including sacch (& lacto, pedio, brett, sherry, etc), correct?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply