Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Starter from mixed lindemans after 1 week.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My Brett C smells sour-ish,kind of like hard cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #12
hunterlab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Have a ? On the BRETT can I cold crash it and decant the old wort for a fresh batch just like a normal starter?

Primary:lambic x2
Primary:
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pumpkin ale,Irish Stout, Jet fuel Cider, Sweet Cider, vanilla bourbon porter, deception stout

Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlab View Post
Have a ? On the BRETT can I cold crash it and decant the old wort for a fresh batch just like a normal starter?
Yes.

Just to reiterate what was said above, the fruit lindemans -- except the cuvee kriek -- are all pasteurized so there is no live brett or bacteria in the bottle. So all you really have in that starter is the brett brux. You won't get any lambic sourness just out of brett brux, you need the bacteria to produce sourness. I wouldn't want you to devote a year of aging to that beer expecting lambic and instead being disappointed you only have a brett beer.

You may want to try to find the lindemans cuve renee gueuze, which is not pasteurized. I've never seen the cuvee kriek but it's an option as well. I know Timmermans makes a gueuze, too, and it is not pasteurized. If you have access to American sours or other non-pasteurized Belgian sours those would help add other strains of brett and some bacteria to your starter. Jolly Pumpkin, Russian River, Cascade, etc.

You could also supplement with one of the blends from Wyeast, White Labs, or ECY if you can find it.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
hunterlab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I do plan on getting bacteria from wyeast when I get the supplies. This is more or less a experiment for now . I plan to take the list of usable beer dregs when I goto a local specialty package store.

Primary:
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pumpkin ale,Irish Stout, Jet fuel Cider, Sweet Cider, vanilla bourbon porter, deception stout

Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
hunterlab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Taste pretty decent kinda fruity and earthy if that makes any sense lol.

Primary:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Wahoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To reiterate, the fruit lindemans are pastuerized and don't have viable dregs. The exception to this, the cuvee renee kriek, is a pretty rare beer.

I see you're in CT. Some of the beers you want to look for for dregs are Allagash Confluence or Interlude, Ithaca White Gold, Green Flash Rayon Vert (brett only), Boon Oude Gueze, anything from Hannsen's, and of course the lindeman's cuvee renee gueze.

Quick Reply