Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Started my first berliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #51
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Only two Brett beers here, but I have never had a pellicle drop. One is going on 14+ months. I'm getting ready to say "f- it" and bottle 'er up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #52
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
thank you- thats what i wanted to know.

Anyone who has bottled there- how has it aged in bottle? Does it stay good for a while or does it decline quickly since its wheat and low alcohol? I tend to take forever to go through my beers so i want to make sure this will stay good for a while...my hef turned kinda crapy since i took to long to drink them and i dont want to make that mistake again
It does quite well in the bottle, all the berliners I have done get much better around the 3-4mos mark, as the meatiness from the wheat is starting to dissipate a bit then

Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #53
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
In my experience (and I've done two or three BW using the same recipe), Lactobacillus + Sacch will, given enough time, form a pellicle though it looks quite different from a Brett pellicle.

The picture posted above was after approximate 3-4 months of aging in secondary.
It appears you are correct. I traded emails with Vinnie, and he essentially says the same as you:

Quote:
Ryan,

Lacto does in time create a pellicle or at least a pellicle like cover over the beer. It will ferment sugar out, but, I’m not sure of how much if any alcohol production is created, I’ve seen Lacto only drop the SG of wort, but, at the time we didn’t have a lab so I couldn’t check for ABV in the lab. But, yes, it can drop the SG. It is actually a really good test to see how Lacto affects the flavor, you’ll see that it is a thin flavor, that is why I like Pedio as it is a richer flavor.

Take care,

Vinnie
The other point, about lacto and ABV is in responce to the post by Evan about if Lacto ferments.

I have to admit I was wrong in my previous post contradicting flyangler18. Hope this helps others.

Quick Reply