Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Started my first berliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #21
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Those are certainly the ballpark numbers, but even 1% acid is enough to impact most Sacch strains. A friend of mine recently did a 48 hour pre-ferment with lacto, then pitched US-05. The beer is super-sour, but it stalled at 1.009 (pretty high for the yeast/wort combination and there is some acetaldehyde).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I thought L. delbrueckii could only ferment lactose?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #23
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I thought L. delbrueckii could only ferment lactose?
That's what they say at crappypedia...but there sure as sh*t is no lactose in my b-weisse, and it fermented something...wtf?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Question that someone raised at hbc, that I don't know the answer to: okay, so, ohiobrewtus made a b-weisse recently and just pitched lactobacillus...he wants it really sour. I was thinking of doing the same thing (I brewed my bweisse on Friday and pitched the lacto only, which took off over the weekend), but someone asked a question that had never occurred to me, and which I cannot answer:

does lactobacillus delbrueckii produce alcohol?
I would try contacting wyeast or white labs (or whichever company you got the lacto from). I vaguely recall that one of them produced alcohol, and the other didn't...but I don't remember where I heard this from or if it was even valid...

Last edited by iamjonsharp; 05-27-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: speleling

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just ordered Brettanomyces Bruxellensis and Brettanomyces Lambicus and it said usually added after primary fermentation has begun and usually used with other yeasts so I was assuming that is what is usually done but I was assuming that was a style and I was going to try them alone but now am I to understand I may need another yeast with them to produce alcohol?
I tried doing a search and got tired of reading all the threads that had Brettanomyces in them so excuse me for being lazy and just asking the question.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That is what I have come to learn as well. I just filled the carboy this morning, and allowed the wort to chill after the mashout. I just pitched the lacto about an hour ago, and will add the yeast (US05) in the AM.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #27
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

lacto delbrueckii is homofermentative, meaning it ONLY produces lactic acid, now there are other lactic bacteria that will produce other things, but both WY and WL strains only produce lactic acid

Jgln

- Brett produces alcohol, but will also metabolize almost all esters produces by other yeast/bacteria and make them its own

- You mustve been pretty lazy searching, there are lots of people that do 100% brett ferments, in fact Ive got two going right now, one with Brett C and the other with brett L, on its own it doesnt get as funky as when its used as a secondary strain (needs those other yeasts byproducts for crazy amounts of funk)

Ryan PA
- depending on how sour you want this you might even wait up to 2days before pitching US05, both WY and WL strains are horribly intollerant of hops, and need quite awhile to do their thing,

Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Ryan PA
- depending on how sour you want this you might even wait up to 2days before pitching US05, both WY and WL strains are horribly intollerant of hops, and need quite awhile to do their thing,
Cool. Will do, thanks. FWIW I am fermenting warm with the bugs, and plan to move to the cooler basement when I pitch the yeast. Sound like a good plan?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #29
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
lacto delbrueckii is homofermentative, meaning it ONLY produces lactic acid, now there are other lactic bacteria that will produce other things, but both WY and WL strains only produce lactic acid

Jgln

- Brett produces alcohol, but will also metabolize almost all esters produces by other yeast/bacteria and make them its own

- You mustve been pretty lazy searching, there are lots of people that do 100% brett ferments, in fact Ive got two going right now, one with Brett C and the other with brett L, on its own it doesnt get as funky as when its used as a secondary strain (needs those other yeasts byproducts for crazy amounts of funk)

Ryan PA

Thanks for the info that answers my question and explains the use of other yeasts and maybe I was lazy but it was hard to tell if they were not using other yeasts and not mentioning or they just didn't know what they were doing kind of like some of the people posting their questions here.
I had to place an order for grain, hops and yeasts and decided to try them but I have to admit never used them before and have not done a lot of reading here on this topic.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #30
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:

Jgln

Ryan PA
Somehow the lacto d. too mine from 1.032 to 1.011 in a couple days. I pitched dry yeast at that point, but I doubt the dry will do much with the remaining sugars.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply