Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Started Berliner Weisse.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Started Berliner Weisse.

Made a starter for a Berliner. Total volume will be 3 gallons.

Starter is 3 pints 1.036 wort, innoculated with 5 million cells/ml of Lactobacillus Acidophilus.

Starter is being kept at 95 F. Any idea how long I need to keep it before I can pitch it into the main batch. I would like to pitch at least 5 million cells/ml, so am looking for at least 10X growth in the starter.

Plan is to sour the wort first, and then add the yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My experience with lacto cultures is you just have to wait and watch. Sometimes they take right off and other times it takes days. When you notice the starter has some activity going on I would use it. Same thing goes for the main batch. Taste everyday until its about where you want it and then pitch the sacc.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breez7 View Post
My experience with lacto cultures is you just have to wait and watch. Sometimes they take right off and other times it takes days. When you notice the starter has some activity going on I would use it. Same thing goes for the main batch. Taste everyday until its about where you want it and then pitch the sacc.
The big issue with this is that it is L-acid, which doesn't show any activity; it is homofermentive and only produces Lactic acid.

Well .... it failed. After 5 days the starter was not sour. I think the reason was because I always toss a couple of hop pellets in my starter wort. Probably runs about 1 to 2 IBUs.

Re-started the starter (if you understand me), without any hops. Tasted sour witin 3 days. Tossed starter in main wort (no hops) 2 days ago. Plan is to leave for 5 days and pitch yeast. Will report back.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
The big issue with this is that it is L-acid, which doesn't show any activity; it is homofermentive and only produces Lactic acid.

Well .... it failed. After 5 days the starter was not sour. I think the reason was because I always toss a couple of hop pellets in my starter wort. Probably runs about 1 to 2 IBUs.

Re-started the starter (if you understand me), without any hops. Tasted sour witin 3 days. Tossed starter in main wort (no hops) 2 days ago. Plan is to leave for 5 days and pitch yeast. Will report back.
Partially correct. Use an airlock on a growler therefore it is very easy to see activity.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breez7 View Post
Partially correct. Use an airlock on a growler therefore it is very easy to see activity.
Lactobacillus Acidophilus doesn't generate any gasses to have any movement in the airlock. Some other strains of Lacto do.

Quick Reply