Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Spontaneous Fermentation First Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Spontaneous Fermentation First Attempt

After reading through wild brews several times, studying the madfermentationists blog, and getting inspiration from others on this site who have tried a 100% spontaneous fermentation I went for it. I brewed a basic lambic recipe on 10/13/2013 let is sit with the lid cracked over night and today there's a pretty substantial krausen on it.

The first pic is where I had it sitting exposed over night. The next 3 are a timeline of it's krausen through today (pics were taken at 7am, 9am, and 9pm)

1013131220.jpg   1016130745.jpg   1016130901.jpg   1016132115.jpg  
Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout
levifunk Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

nice - congrats!

do let us know how the final product tastes.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Does anyone have any experience with spontaneous fermentation? Any tips or words of wisdom as to what's in the beers future?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

my understanding is that it's a crap shoot: you might get something awesome or you might get something awful. all depends on what critters got in there.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
reed1911
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That has been my experience. I decided to make a starter, and based on the starter whether to ramp it up or not. I'd hate to waste 5 gal when I can only waste a liter.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
my understanding is that it's a crap shoot: you might get something awesome or you might get something awful. all depends on what critters got in there.
yeah that seems to be the consensus. I heard a lot of people say that it can often be a pretty clean fermentation. I'll wait a few weeks and pull a sample to see what kind of a start it's off to. It filled up all the headspace in the carboy and blew off a little through the airlock. It has since dropped down and I can't see any visible activity.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
reed1911
Recipes 

How does the offgas smell?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

it's just kind of a bready/yeasty smell. it smells pretty clean. I'm not sure at what point i should be smelling sour and funk

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
reed1911
Recipes 

Let it ride. It may or may not have any funk, but provided it has that good beer brewing smell and no rotting garbage smell it will be drinkable. The nice thing is no matter what strain of good yeast grows it will be in 'style'

Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
jesran
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had some success gathering ambient yeast. Best advice is to wait until air outside feels, tastes, smells "sweet". I know it sounds kind of zen, but we all know not to harvest ambient yeast in summer for all the crap that's living in the air and inversely not the in the dead of winter because there is nothing living in te air. So there is a sweet spot between summer and winter and another between winter and summer. Basically what I do is brew a lot of beer during these times and set my BIAB grain bags outside overnight. there is always about 300-400ml that will continue to drip through the bags into a bowl just by waiting. The next day I put it into a starter flask and it always takes off. This is unhooked and unboiled but when it ferments it is enough of a sample to know if he yeast is "good" or not. When it is good I step it up to 2 gallons and then to 5. If it sucks then I dump it. Let your senses be your guide I say. I've gotten pretty good at sensing when a good tasting ponta nous fermentation will occur. For example in South Jersey where I live it is too early to attempt. Air still seems to have too much crap in it...

Best if luck!

Quick Reply