Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Splitting ECY01 vial?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Splitting ECY01 vial?

I'm going to be moving into a new house soon after relocating for work and would like to get my sour pipeline up and running again. I ordered a vial of ECY01 and will be brewing two five gallon batches in April. Do any of you have any experience with splitting a vial this way? I was originally going to do one with the ECY and one with WY3278, but if ECY is superior (like I hear it is), I figure I can use it for both if it's possible.

Any thoughts?

Primary:
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, Jamil's sweet stout with raspberries
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Nelson Sauvin saison, Two Hearted clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 67

What style of beer are you going for? Assuming its some sort of Lambic-esque wort then you'll be fine splitting the vial between 2x 5 gallon ferments. A lot of people around here do that including myself, stress the sacch a little bit for some esters that Brett will work on over time.

If you're doing a Flanders Red or something bigger you may want to look at pitching rates.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
What style of beer are you going for? Assuming its some sort of Lambic-esque wort then you'll be fine splitting the vial between 2x 5 gallon ferments. A lot of people around here do that including myself, stress the sacch a little bit for some esters that Brett will work on over time.

If you're doing a Flanders Red or something bigger you may want to look at pitching rates.
Yeah, lambic-esque. 1.05'ish and pale. Thanks for the advice. At $11 a vial, it's nice to be able to split it.

Primary:
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, Jamil's sweet stout with raspberries
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Nelson Sauvin saison, Two Hearted clone

Quick Reply