Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > sours and hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Joetuo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sours and hops?

I tried a quick search but came up empty handed. My question is I know lambics need aged hops, but if I am making just a standard sour/wild ale do I need aged hops or can I just use fresh hops?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 950 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The reason for aged hops in all sour beers is so that you can use "some" for preservative qualities without the bitterness contribution. You can use fresh hops to a degree but you have to really back off and you should use the lowest AA% you can get your hands on.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dunno what you mean by "standard sour/wild ale". There's not really such a thing as a "standard". Lambics use aged hops, but berlinerweisse uses fresher hops. Flanders red uses fresher hops too.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Like Evan! said, there are as many wild styles as there are non sour styles. Traditionally, Lambic brewers use a LOT of hops to get preservative qualities. They don't want any hop flavor or aroma however. Hops that are aged for more than 3 years loose the flavor and aroma we know.

If you want to be technical, the way we brew Lambics (cultured blends in closed fermenters) isn't even traditional, so using low AA% hops is probably fine.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
jumpjet2k
Recipes 

Keep in mind that there are beers out there like Wild Devil - IPAs with Brett. A whole ton of hop character would be hard to work out in a wild beer, but it's not impossible to mix hops and brett or other wild yeasts. Just quite challenging, I have to imagine.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpjet2k View Post
Keep in mind that there are beers out there like Wild Devil - IPAs with Brett. A whole ton of hop character would be hard to work out in a wild beer, but it's not impossible to mix hops and brett or other wild yeasts. Just quite challenging, I have to imagine.
Yeah, but there's a big difference between brett and lacto/pedio. Brett is not a souring bacteria, it's a yeast strain. It produces mainly funky, barnyardy character...whereas lacto and pedio produce a lot of sourness. Sourness + hoppiness = clash!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Joetuo
Recipes 

I kinda thought about not typing "standard" since you really can't have a standard with those styles...

So it sounds like if your doing a lambic you need the aged hops, and if your doing a sour you can mix low AA fresh and some aged.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

From what I have been reading, you only really need aged hops for a lambic if you plan to spontaneously ferment it, instead of innoculating. The point of the aged hops, the preservative effect, is essential to keep the disgusting bacteria at bay at the beginning of the spontaneous fermentation (think what your mash smells like if you leave it a few days). But if you are innoculating with your own blend, it probably won't contain the nasty stuff that you need to prevent from taking hold, so you can more likely be fine with using a very low amount of low AA hops, similar to how you would make a Flanders Red or Berliner Weiss.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKennedy View Post
But if you are innoculating with your own blend, it probably won't contain the nasty stuff that you need to prevent from taking hold, so you can more likely be fine with using a very low amount of low AA hops, similar to how you would make a Flanders Red or Berliner Weiss.
FWIW I plan on using 2.7% saaz hops in my Lambic when I get around to it, probably ~1/2 oz in 5 gallons. They are the lowest %AA hops I have on hand.

I'm going with Goldings and Fuggles for my Flanders ales, 15-20 IBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Joetuo
Recipes 

After reading this thread again (especially Bobby's comment) I am wondering about the potential of doing a Mash hop to get the preservation factor without all the IBU's? You could achieve all the IBU's you want and not add any hops to the boil.

What are your thoughts on how well this would work. Would this add too much flavor and aroma?

Quick Reply