Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Which Sours to Harvest Yeast
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

i don't think verhaeghe uses aspartame in duchesse- spring chicken - how long did you have the starter going for?

__________________

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
brewbobaggins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 99
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The Mad Fermentationist (Michael Tonsmeire) has a great post with a comprehensive list of which sour beers you can harvest from...

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...dregs.html?m=1

__________________

Check out my latest homebrewing thoughts, recipes, tastings, and happenings at Ten Bottle Brewing. Drinking, researching, and brewing just about every style, with an emphasis on the bacteria-laden variety. Enjoy and brew on!

brewbobaggins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Spring_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520
i don't think verhaeghe uses aspartame in duchesse- spring chicken - how long did you have the starter going for?
Since October.
__________________
Spring_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
Spring_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Look at this thread, about halfway down there is a label. Turns out the Duchesse is '100% natural and unpasteurized'.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/jus...rgogne-125810/

__________________
Spring_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #25
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Oldsock's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DC, Washington DC
Posts: 3,112
Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Chicken View Post
Look at this thread, about halfway down there is a label. Turns out the Duchesse is '100% natural and unpasteurized'.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/jus...rgogne-125810/
Unpasteurized doesn't mean it isn't filtered.

Raj Apte claims that is the case: "Duchesse is a filtered and force-carbonated blend of 8 and 18 month old beer, 60/40... The Verhaeghe importer says that often kegs and even bottles will begin a fermentation if stored for long, despite the fact that they are filtered. There is noticeable sediment in most bottles. There may be enough microbes to get a culture going. The good news is the Duchesse is force carbonated, so there is no bottling yeast to create confusion." http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/ap...shredale.shtml
__________________

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Oldsock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
Spring_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock

Unpasteurized doesn't mean it isn't filtered.

Raj Apte claims that is the case: "Duchesse is a filtered and force-carbonated blend of 8 and 18 month old beer, 60/40... The Verhaeghe importer says that often kegs and even bottles will begin a fermentation if stored for long, despite the fact that they are filtered. There is noticeable sediment in most bottles. There may be enough microbes to get a culture going. The good news is the Duchesse is force carbonated, so there is no bottling yeast to create confusion." http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/ap...shredale.shtml
I don't care what it is as long as I can get a starter off of it. :-)

It's good to know though. I bet it's only filtered lightly and that's why I got some. It wasn't my first try though, so don't give up. It sure won't be my last.
__________________
Spring_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #27
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

well - i know what i'm getting a case of this weekend... (other than the green apple splatters...)

__________________

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
JacobS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I would think then that maybe the filtration plus bottle age would lead to very long lag times in building up a starter. So maybe try a smaller start like 250ml or 500ml of wort and give it 2 or 3 weeks then step it up to x2 and x5?

Or you could try dregs from like 5 or 6 bottles to start... Might be cost prohibitive though. Oh, and just a thought are you using dregs from the 330ml or the 750ml bottles? Could make a difference.

Just my thoughts as I don't usually do starters for dregs just pitch into secondary.

__________________
In Primary: KSS-Fool's Folly

In Secondary:Old Croaker Imperial Stout

Long Aging: Old Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Pale Ale, Wheat'n'Peach, TC- Aged Amber, TC-Aged Pale Wheat, pSaison Historiq, Black Bretty, Flanders Red Rye

On Tap: TC-Red Headed Stepchild, TC-Saison v4, TC-Misty Moorings,

Bottled: Thunderhead Imperial Stout, TC-Three Weissmen

http://brewtoadchateau.blogspot.com
JacobS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
Spring_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS
I would think then that maybe the filtration plus bottle age would lead to very long lag times in building up a starter. So maybe try a smaller start like 250ml or 500ml of wort and give it 2 or 3 weeks then step it up to x2 and x5?

Or you could try dregs from like 5 or 6 bottles to start... Might be cost prohibitive though. Oh, and just a thought are you using dregs from the 330ml or the 750ml bottles? Could make a difference.

Just my thoughts as I don't usually do starters for dregs just pitch into secondary.
If you're asking me, I used the 330ml bottle probably. I have only bought a few of the larger bottles. Good idea using the smaller starters. I'm only using the gallon bottles because they are free.
__________________
Spring_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 418
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Here is another example of someone having luck with the Duchesse
http://snbbrewing.blogspot.com/2012/...halvtreds.html

I've started a thread about a similar question and many people have chimed in with their success
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/eas...-dregs-189748/

Here is a quick list of the successes

Fantome - (Noel) - any
Bruery - (Saison de Lente) - any
Mikkeller It's Alright
Avery 15
Russian River - (Consecration) - any
Lost Abbey - any
Bavik Petrus Aged Pale
Old Beersel
Cantillion Kriek
Jolly Pumpkin - (Bam Noire) - any

and more detail about them are on my blog:
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/p/beer-recipes.html

__________________
Almighty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS