The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Which Sours to Harvest Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess42 View Post
Spearko, Duchesse has alot of sweetness to it. Not sure if the dregs are viable. Are there dregs? Could be sterile filtered.
I've heard that it has viable critters still in it. Not sure where I heard it though. I'll have to sit back and think whilst I drink a few.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 58

From what I have heard, Duchesse is filtered. I tried anyway to pitch some in a gallon of wort-no dice.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520 View Post
oldsock, i noticed you don't have any brouwerij verhaeghe beers on your list- is that just from them not being verified, or have you tried with duchesse, to no avail? i'm wondering if i should try again - or maybe even try to get some of their other beers...
I haven't tried using their beers (or most of the beers on the list) so I either need to have a brewery that confirms there are live microbes, or successful attempts using the dregs reported by other homebrewers. I'd rather leave beers off the list unless I am positive.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sooooo..... I have had a few gallon wine jugs filled with dregs of sours that I wanted to try to harvest from. I started this thread because I'm looking to start round 2. The two beers that I most wanted to harvest from (Ducchess and Supplication) both had developed mold from having airlocks dry out. Because I'm having a sour tasting among friends tonight I cleaned out the extra jugs to try again. However, I tried the Ducchess just because it had only a small amount of mold and people on this thread are doubting if it can be used. Let me tell you that it most certainly can. The stuff in the jug is it. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless they were back to back. All that I did was make a half gallon starter and throw in the dregs.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

i tried duchesse and vichtenar to no avail- but i guess i will give it another try. The labeling on the bottle would lead me to believe that they don't do anything other than bottle their product, but i guess filtering could sneak in under their language. i've been drinking duchesse pretty regular for about the past eight years and i know it is never the same, which leads me to think there may still be something organic going on. I've never really noticed any sediment in the bottle, but i guess i'm going to give another try - spring chicken- what did you use for starter wort, and did you just pitch like the last half inch of what was left in the bottle?

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I just made a 1.040 starter with DME and threw in the nasties in the last 1/4 inch or so. With Duchesse I think I let it sit for about a week before I picked it up out of the fridge, and then I called the bottom the dregs.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Chicken View Post
However, I tried the Ducchess just because it had only a small amount of mold and people on this thread are doubting if it can be used. Let me tell you that it most certainly can. The stuff in the jug is it. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless they were back to back. All that I did was make a half gallon starter and throw in the dregs.
Are you saying you can’t taste the difference between Duchesse and the starter you made? How sterile was your process? With a starter that big for dregs there is a good chance that other microbes could have gained a foothold, even if there were viable cells in the bottle. How long was it before you saw active fermentation?

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock

Are you saying you can’t taste the difference between Duchesse and the starter you made? How sterile was your process? With a starter that big for dregs there is a good chance that other microbes could have gained a foothold, even if there were viable cells in the bottle. How long was it before you saw active fermentation?
I can taste the difference, but I think if I added some sugar or something to back sweeten it would be pretty close to dead on. It's much more sour, but it has the exact flavor of the Duchess. Also, there are differences others than flavors such as color and clarity.

I paid attention in my science classes so I'm about a sanitary as you can be.That said, obviously something did get in there because there was mold growing on top, possibly from the dried out airlock. Maybe the airlock drying out was good? Maybe it needed the oxygen?

I saw signs in the first week. When I do starters I do a wort stability test in a Ziploc bag too, it always takes more than a week to show signs of fermentation.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Chicken View Post
I can taste the difference, but I think if I added some sugar or something to back sweeten it would be pretty close to dead on. It's much more sour, but it has the exact flavor of the Duchess. Also, there are differences others than flavors such as color and clarity.

I paid attention in my science classes so I'm about a sanitary as you can be.That said, obviously something did get in there because there was mold growing on top, possibly from the dried out airlock. Maybe the airlock drying out was good? Maybe it needed the oxygen?

I saw signs in the first week. When I do starters I do a wort stability test in a Ziploc bag too, it always takes more than a week to show signs of fermentation.
Interesting, although surprising with the number of people who say it fails for them. I'm also surprised by how much sweetness Duchess has given the live microbes.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Aren't there unfermentable sweeteners?

Quick Reply