Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sourdough/Beer Starter First Timer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
dutra2418
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Sourdough/Beer Starter First Timer

So I made a sourdough starter last night by crushing 1/2oz 2 row, 1/4oz crystal 40 and about 1.5oz water. I also threw a pinch of flour in for good measure to try and give those yeasties some extra food. My intention is to use this for not only a sourdough starter but also a starter for beer too. This is my first foray into capturing wild yeast in general so my question is 2(ish) fold.

1) Will the 2 row and Crystal 40 even provide enough sugar for yeast to take off if I didn't mash them? I figured the water, even at room temp would allow the germination to resume.

and

2) IF this thing does take off how long should I wait until I harvest it for brewing, what should I brew with it?

It's been sitting for about a day so far and it smells like wet grain would normally smell after mashing and sitting for a few hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
turtle
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

sounds like a cool idea, but: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sourdough-starter-174303/

Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
bigdfromaz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I came across this thread from wondering the same thing. I have a sourdough starter that's about 2 years old and I was thinking about using it to make a small test batch. I'm just getting into brewing again for the first time in a few years and did my first AG batch a couple of weeks ago (mostly a disaster), but I listen to a lot of Basic Brewing Radio podcasts and I'm thinking of trying a one gallon Brew in a Bag batch and fermenting with some of my starter. If I do it I'll definitely post something. Keep us posted if you do go through with it.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I tried it a few years ago with a Kvass which turned out pretty well, but I didn't get much sourness out of it (that said the starter never made expecially acidic sourdough bread either).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply