Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Source For Brettanomyces Anomalus?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
thelorax121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Source For Brettanomyces Anomalus?

So I am just getting into Brett fermentations, and I am looking to split a 5 gal batch and ferment one with Brett. A and the other with Brett. C. The problem is, I can't seem to find a source for any cultures of Brett. A from Wyeast, White Labs or otherwise. Does anyone have an inside source for this strain so I can get my Brett career a-goin'?

Worst case scenario, I have a starter from the dregs of two bottles of Avery 15 that seems to be taking off that I could pitch in place of the Brett A. Again, I am new to Brett, so while it looks like a layer of yeast is forming at the bottom of the flask, I am not sure on the time-line, or the visual clues for an actively fermenting Brett starter, so input on this would be helpful too. Thanks in advance for the input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.c...alus-brew.html

Email that guy or ask someone on the Babble Belt homebrew forum. Those guys will have it or know where to get it.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Avery 15 dregs should work fine, just keep in mind brett grows slower than sacc yeast so it will take about a week to get a big enough starter built up to pitch. If you have a warm place (~80*F) for the starter, that will also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Big +1 to the temp thing. I've brewed all-brett beers before and Brett C & A in particular really like at least over 70F if possible.

Even when using a 1L starter at 70+F I've had Brett C beers have lag time of 3-4 days before there was noticeable activity in the primary. (Turned out delicious though, btw.)

Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
DanZarrella
Recipes 

yet another +1 to higher temps. My Brett C starter and small batch really benefited from temps in the 74-76+ range.
Had raging active fermentation, less than a full 24 hours after pitching, but the airlock smelled pretty fruity (pretty sure now, it was just the sour cherries in the brew, not full out esters), so I pulled it off the heater a bit and it dropped a few points and fermentation activity subsided greatly. Just put it back on and will report back if the activity restarts.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I'll agree on the high temps for Brett C, but the same high temps with Brett A gave me a load of terrible band-aid/phenol character. Brett A isn't produced anymore, Wyeast phased it out about 3 years back. Honestly I like White Labs Brett C better. If you are looking for something similar maybe you could get your hands on the Wyeast Brett C, although its VSS run ended in June.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just FYI, I sent an email to wyeast about when they will release the Brett. C again, and here was their response:

"The 5151 Brett. c. will be on our PC lineup next quarter (April - June)"

As an aside, the 5.5 gal 1.040 batch that I pitched the starter made from the Avery dregs is still bubbling away about two weeks later. I am keeping the temperature right around 70, and so far the airlock smells wonnderful. Ill post back up with some tasting/gravity readings in a week or two when I transfer to secondary.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
DanZarrella
Recipes 

In the book Wild Brews, the Jeff Sparrow seems to indicate that Brett C is really just a specific strain of Brett A.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have read that, and that was part of the reason that I wanted to get my hands on Brett A specifically, so that I could do a split batch and compare the two to see for myself. I guess i'm just not trusting enough

Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

A and C are the same in the same biological sense that all ale yeast are Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but there can be huge flavor/brewing differences between different strains of ale yeast (compare an American ale yeast to a Belgian for example).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply