HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sour starter?

So I brewed an American Cream Ale and pitched ECY Kolsch about a month ago, on the brewday I pulled a bit of the yeast out of my starter flask and repackaged it to keep around. Made a nice big starter with this the other day and went to crash it today and it smells sour. It smells like a clean sour, like fresh green apples, almost the smell that come off of Petrus. So my guess is somehow some Lacto got in there. I have various sours going in my basement right now, but I thinking I had a sanitation lapse somewhere. Anyway, my question is this, can I pitch this starter for a fast turnaround beer and keep the lacto at bay? I am thinking like 14 days from grain to keg, I am thinking there is enough Sach in there to get a solid start before the lacto has time to sour it. I guess if all else fails I could just get a sour blond right, lol...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Maybe. Lacto moves fast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply