Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour mashing and a berliner weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
vp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried a 30% sour mash in crock pot my first go around which didn't provide enough souring as I would like. Plus I wasn't all about dealing with a full mash of sour grain.

Second time around I did a full mash and sparged into my brew pot, allowed that to cool to about 125 F and then into a 6 gallon glass carboy (sloooooooooooowly so thermal shock wasn't an issue). Filled all the way to the top so once the stopper was placed in there was 0 headspace. I used Wyeast Lacto which produced a lot of CO2. The stopper would actually pop out to allow the CO2 to escape so I knew I didn't have any O2 issues. Just kept it covered.

I then placed my carboy heater coupled with this cheap controller http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR...ds=seed+heater and insulated heavily. Held 109-110 for around 3.5 days and had some very sour wort. This was then boiled for 15 minutes with some EKG, cooled, and pitched with Wyeast 3068. I wanted another dimension to the beer and this yeast delivered. Very clean with a slight Bav wheat flavor. Simple but one of my favorite brews and especially for the season.

I am re-using the lacto "cake" from the carboy for future sour mashes (I think of it as a "sour wort"). Carboy was bleached and then sanitized and haven't had any cross contamination issues.

The great thing about this method is the ability to obtain and then lock in a certain sourness. Though to be fair judging the exact sourness of unfermented wort is difficult because of the sweetness that counters. Plus post boil it is clean beer so my kegging and bottling equipment is unfazed.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
jerlexico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjBrewer View Post
I've got a dedicated BIAB sour wort Berliner system that works great!

I mash in a 5 gal boil kettle by BIAB. Then a cool to 100 after removing the bag. Now that its just wort, I toss in some whole grain and stick it in the oven for a few days to hold it around 90-100. Tasting it along the way until it gets to where I want it. Usually 3-4 days or so. Then I just boil the whole thing for 30 min or so to kill off the bugs, cool and pitch 05. Doesn't take long to ferment being low gravity. Keg and carb. Two weeks. All summer long. Cheers and good luck.

Here's a pic of the wort. Yum

Attachment 123953
Thanks for posting this method...sounds like something I could do fairly easily. Seems like there wouldn't be room in a 5 gal kettle to come out with a 5 gal product in the keg. How do you get back up to that volume? Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Found thread addressing my question.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy