The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour mash or sour wort ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
I've only done this the once, but I made the full wort (including sparge) which may take longer. I got it up between 90-95°F (as high as my chamber could get) from last Friday evening until Tuesday evening. That's about 96 hours exactly from sparge 'til boil. It smelled perfect during the boil, but I won't taste the final product until next week or so (bottling Wednesday to ship Friday... yeaaaaah cutting it close).
You're in the last minute berliner for nationals club? Me too.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

malweth Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
You're in the last minute berliner for nationals club? Me too.
The problem with kegs . . . you just don't know how much you have left
In this case, my stout was nearly gone.

I don't mean to hijack, but this is somewhat on topic.
It's early yet, (though the fermentation is nearly done) and I sampled my beer last night. There's no carbonation and it's warm, of course, but I still noticed the same cooked corn smell / flavor as pre-boil (15 minute boil). My recipe does use pils malt ... am I full of DMS or does that go away (especially with some cold and carb)?
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddq View Post
I wouldn't call it a lot, but I've done the sour wort method three times now. Like all fermentations, the time is going to be dependent on your temp and size of pitch. With 6.5gal of 1.035 wort held at ~100F and a half liter lacto starter (made from grain), I've pasteurized batches at 12, 24, and 48 hours into souring. The 12hour batch I was going for something a little more approachable and less intense. After 24 hours they get to a ph of about 3.2, which is about the limit they'll typically go (or that I'd want to).
I ended up keeping my 5 gallons of wort at 100-110 F for about 4 days and then transferred to a fermenter (no boil, no hops) and pitched a ton of saison yeast, it is bubbling away happily.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply