The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour mash not sour smelling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
JeffStewart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sour mash not sour smelling

So, I set aside a portion of wort to sour, and then add back to the beer after fermentation. So, I set it aside, added some crystal grains to it and let it sit for 3-4 days in a closed container at room temperature. I know the temp is supposed to be higher but just couldn't maintain that. I took a whiff of it today and it doesn't smell sour, at least to me. It smells like concentrated crystal grains, which I think smells great, it's just not what I was aiming for. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Raise the temperature. You have to.

You can do the ice/water bath swamp cooler but in reverse. Keep the closed container in a pool of warm water. Periodically add hotter water to keep the temperature up.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
JeffStewart
Recipes 

What's the lowest temp that it'll work at?

- Jeff

Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

toss it in the oven on warm or use a croc pot on the warm setting

that said Ive never had good luck with sour mashing or sour worting, I think either those that espouse great results are either over stating the effects, are using a very small amount in their overall batch, or have gotten extremely lucky with the microflora on their grain

everytime Ive done it, there is a terrible hot vomit rotting garbage smell that never dissipates, even with boiling. there is a lot more on grain that lactobacillus, unfortunately it seems that all of my grain is covered in enterobacter.....yuck

I think if i do it again (likely) i will make a small "starter" using some crushed grain, then after its fermented out i will decant and use the lees in a new starter. This should drop the pH enough that most of the enterobacter are dead and wont make this flavor/aroma in the final beer

Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
JeffStewart
Recipes 

What about instead of sour mashing, would it make sense just to inoculate some separated wort with lacto or something, then once that's done working, boil and add as intended?

- Jeff

Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
toss it in the oven on warm or use a croc pot on the warm setting

that said Ive never had good luck with sour mashing or sour worting, I think either those that espouse great results are either over stating the effects, are using a very small amount in their overall batch, or have gotten extremely lucky with the microflora on their grain

everytime Ive done it, there is a terrible hot vomit rotting garbage smell that never dissipates, even with boiling. there is a lot more on grain that lactobacillus, unfortunately it seems that all of my grain is covered in enterobacter.....yuck

I think if i do it again (likely) i will make a small "starter" using some crushed grain, then after its fermented out i will decant and use the lees in a new starter. This should drop the pH enough that most of the enterobacter are dead and wont make this flavor/aroma in the final beer
i use a heating pad - keeps it around 90-110 and mine have always smelled like sour cream - nothing objectionable but noticeably sour..

Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffStewart View Post
What's the lowest temp that it'll work at?
Lacto really needs at least 90F but closer to 120F to get going and outpace anything enteric.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I sample a 3 day sourmash blonde at NCHF a few weeks ago.. it was fantastic, especially given the warm weather of the day. So it can obviously be done.. I wasn't familiar with enterobacter before that, but had a lambic there that absolutely stank like a diaper pail and discovered that enterobacter is the cause of that aroma - so yeah, I could see how one would want to stay away from that.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
joshareed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I do my sour mashes and lacto starters in the oven with just the light on. It keeps the temp around a 100. You can also turn it on for a minute or two a couple times a day to inject some more heat.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
dwscott135
Recipes 

I also did a 3 day sour mash in an ale pale, insulated the hell out of it and used a heating pad periodically on rotating sides of the pale. After 3 days I opened the bucket expecting the putrid smell that everyone talks about, and there was none of it, it actually smelled pretty nice. However, after draining, sparging, boiling and letting finish it's primary ferm. it has a wonderful sour twang and equally pleasant sour smell. Might have just been lucky, but I will repeat this process again. Initially I thought I would add a brett culture to the secondary, but the sourness from the mash was so delightful, I'm just going to let it ride. It's not supposed to be a lambic, just a sour ale.

Quick Reply