New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Mash Berliner Weisse Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
theoryno7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Sour Mash Berliner Weisse Fermentation

I decided to get a little crazy and try my hand at a Berliner Weisse. I decided to do a sour mash, which went great. I soured the mash with a few ounces of grain for 24 hours and got a sour but not foul smelling wort. I did a 30 minute boil with a small hop addition, cooled oxygenated and pitched WLP001. This was a 2 gallon batch so I didn't do a starter. My OG was 1.031. 3 days later I have no Krausen or airlock activity. I have my carboy sitting at 72 degrees.

I'm going to take a hydrometer reading tonight, but was wondering how the lactic acid effects fermentation. Every other time I have used WLP001 I have had very active fermentation within 24 hours. My yeast was shipped from NB and I am wondering if the heat during shipping was too much for it.

Is it possible with a low gravity beer to have fermentation without krausen or airlock activity? There hasnt been any subsurface swirling either. Just a yeast bed settled on the bottom of the carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Any idea what the pH is? Acidity does make it more difficult for the primary yeast to do their job, but I haven't heard about it completely stopping fermentation, especially in just 24 hours. Always a good idea to make a starter to ensure viability before brewing, even if you don't need more cells. I'd pitch more yeast if you have it.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
theoryno7
Recipes 

The gravity had not dropped at all so I ended up pitching Safale 05. My LHBS suggested this because the dry yeast is more robust than the liquid. As far as pH goes, I just started measuring pH and paying attention to my water. The pH of my water is super high, so I am assuming that the addition of lactic acid will make it more ideal for the yeast. Anyway, the beer finished at 1.003 and tastes awesome. Really cheesy nose though. Just posted a thread about what might have caused this. This would be a great beer if the nose was more along the lines of the taste.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Dry yeast is more robust than liquid yeast? WTF. That is not correct at all.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Dry yeast is more robust than liquid yeast? WTF. That is not correct at all.
I think he means a dry yeast pack has a higher cell count than liquid yeast.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
theoryno7
Recipes 

Maybe thats it. All I know is that the WLP001 didn't ferment at all and the Safale 05 dropped the gravity from to 1.003 in 5 days.

Quick Reply