Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
hoptopia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sour mash

Test

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
hoptopia
Recipes 

Ok so my app wasn't allowing me to post new threads so I did a test first.

Can someone explain to me how you make a sour mash? If you have a sour mash do you need to add bugs? Or are the optional?

I know some bugs create acidic acid which is sour, but can you just do a sour mash and skip the bugs? Then you wouldn't have equip concerns.....

Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

To make sour mash I suggest starting with just a partial mash and not the full grain bill.

You mash your grain as usual, however do not drain it off when it is done. Instead hold it between 140-150F for 12-24 hours. Then sparge. The smell can be marriage ending, so be prepared. You can add yogurt culture too, but there should be enough lactic acid on the grain to not need it.

After the sparge just add to the boil. If you boil the sourness level will be set. All of the bugs will be killed. There is no reason to keep separate equipment for this.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlpdillon View Post
To make sour mash I suggest starting with just a partial mash and not the full grain bill.

You mash your grain as usual, however do not drain it off when it is done. Instead hold it between 140-150F for 12-24 hours. Then sparge. The smell can be marriage ending, so be prepared. You can add yogurt culture too, but there should be enough lactic acid on the grain to not need it.

After the sparge just add to the boil. If you boil the sourness level will be set. All of the bugs will be killed. There is no reason to keep separate equipment for this.
I thought lactobacillus can't survive at temps over 140? Doesn't it reproduce in the range of 90-135 F with closer to 110 being the proverbial 'sweet spot'.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You may be right about the temps. I was doing that from memory and not data. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing has the right numbers.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I did a mini sour mash with only 1lbs of grain and let it sit for almost a week, then added it to my main mash... It added about the right amount of "stinky feet" to a farmhouse ale I did

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS