Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Location

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Sour Location

I've currently got a sour aging in my ferm chamber. It's been in there for 2 months and it's been a steady 62 degrees. I'm wanting to put together a couple lagers but am afraid of what the lagering temps could/would do to the sour. I guess I could move it to an upstairs closet for a couple months where it stays around 65.

Suggestions?

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have fermentors of sours and non-sours sitting right next to each other all the time. The bacteria arent going to climb out through the airlock, fly through the air, and then climb down the airlock into your lager no worries man.

Mike.

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg5039 View Post
I have fermentors of sours and non-sours sitting right next to each other all the time. The bacteria arent going to climb out through the airlock, fly through the air, and then climb down the airlock into your lager no worries man.

Mike.
I don't think he's concerned about the sours infecting his lager, he's concerned about the effects of the lower lager temps on the sour.

Depending on what bugs you're using in your sour, I think the cooler temps are likely to slow them down a bit. Best case scenario, it means you'll be waiting a little longer before the sour is ready. If it were me, I'd move it to your closet and let it age there at 65F.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery

I don't think he's concerned about the sours infecting his lager, he's concerned about the effects of the lower lager temps on the sour.

Depending on what bugs you're using in your sour, I think the cooler temps are likely to slow them down a bit. Best case scenario, it means you'll be waiting a little longer before the sour is ready. If it were me, I'd move it to your closet and let it age there at 65F.
Thanks, didn't know if disturbing the sour that much was worse than the colder lager temps.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I actually think it is better for sour beers to have mild swings in temperature. This is more important when aging in barrels because it helps with oak extraction.

I remember speaking with Eric Salazar of New Belgium and he was discussing the influence of the location of each foeder and how it makes a big impact on the beer. And I remember something to the extent that the foeders closer to the doors where his favorite and much more complex.

I would also age it in your closet. And the mild shaking should not influence the beer too much. Just try to be careful to introduce too much oxygen.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught

Thanks, didn't know if disturbing the sour that much was worse than the colder lager temps.
The only disturbance to moving a sour is causing the pellicle to fall...
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty
I actually think it is better for sour beers to have mild swings in temperature. This is more important when aging in barrels because it helps with oak extraction.

I remember speaking with Eric Salazar of New Belgium and he was discussing the influence of the location of each foeder and how it makes a big impact on the beer. And I remember something to the extent that the foeders closer to the doors where his favorite and much more complex.

I would also age it in your closet. And the mild shaking should not influence the beer too much. Just try to be careful to introduce too much oxygen.
Thanks, there is a little swing in temp in the closet, anywhere from 62-68 degrees normally. I think I'll move it there tonight.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster

The only disturbance to moving a sour is causing the pellicle to fall...
There's really not much growth on top as of now. Is that my main concern?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught

There's really not much growth on top as of now. Is that my main concern?
Basically.... Yes unless it gets really hot and then you forget and it turns really sour fast... Did that 2 years ago with a soured gruit... Forgot about it in my garage for X amount of months during a hot summer..... @microbusbrewery, next time I see you remind me to give you a bottle...lol....
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just because I'm curious now what happens if the pellicle falls?

Quick Reply