Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Graff (Beer/Cider Hybrid with Brett)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepoundpossum View Post
interesting. i would have thought the bret would have eaten up those dextrins in the ME. i'll be curious to read your post. cheers!
Oddly enough, this hit its stride just in the last few weeks, since I started working on my blog writeup. Today is the one year anniversary of when I "brewed" this, and I'm glad I waited this long. It's definitely winning me over. The sweetness and weird syrupy character are starting to turn into more of a tart, crisp apple cider character. It still isn't super funky, but the Brett is opening up a bit, and probably has some more to go before it's peaked.

It still is sweeter than I would have expected — final gravity of 1.006, like you said, I figured Brett might take it down lower than that. It isn't heavy, but you can definitely tell that it's not plain cider. Adding the malt had its pros and cons.

Here's the full write-up on my blog: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/11...ciderbeer.html. It turned into a pretty nice drink, but in the future, I'd probably just add Brett to apfelwine for something super-tart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

great write-up. thanks! i'll let you know how mine turns out. might be a few months (or years)!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Quote:
great write-up. thanks! i'll let you know how mine turns out. might be a few months (or years)!
Awesome, please do. I'll keep updating as mine develops as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know I posted on this earlier, but I also wanted to let you know that I made my own Graff-ish sour ale a couple months ago. I made a simple pale base (~60% pils, 25% wheat, 15% oats). I hopped it very lightly and added a belgian strain with Brett. I racked it onto 8 lbs of crab apples and a carton of apple juice concentrate. I'm hoping for something fruity, crisp, and lip-puckeringly tart. I'll keep you posted as I get closer to bottling time.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Weizenstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brett Graff is one of the best things I've ever brewed. Thrown together with a couple gallons of lightly hopped barleywine second runnings, 7 cans apple juice concentrate and a bit of regular juice. US-05 and pitched Boulevard Saison Brett dregs (Brett C I think) it evolved really amazingly over a year and half, developed a lot of "haystack" funk character, and reached a sparkling/effervescent carb level.

Currently trying to make something similar with Crooked Stave dregs, wine yeast, and wheat beer second runnings.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenstein View Post
Brett Graff is one of the best things I've ever brewed. Thrown together with a couple gallons of lightly hopped barleywine second runnings, 7 cans apple juice concentrate and a bit of regular juice. US-05 and pitched Boulevard Saison Brett dregs (Brett C I think) it evolved really amazingly over a year and half, developed a lot of "haystack" funk character, and reached a sparkling/effervescent carb level.

Currently trying to make something similar with Crooked Stave dregs, wine yeast, and wheat beer second runnings.
Interesting that you got a lot of funk with yours. Hopefully mine will be there in another six months!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

sounds interesting, guys! did you pitch the brett with the primary yeast or later in secondary?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Quote:
sounds interesting, guys! did you pitch the brett with the primary yeast or later in secondary?
I pitched everything all at once (Brett B, plus Belgian Ardennes) in addition to whatever wild yeast was already in the cider.

Brettanomyces & Wild Yeast T-Shirts
How Many Hop Varieties Are in the Best IPAs? - A Statistical Analysis
Bear Flavored's Ultimate Guide to Hop Varieties
Culturing Conan, the Heady Topper Yeast

Quick Reply