Sour for dummies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I've recently started really getting into sours and want to start making some. Is there some kind of noob sour thread that goes over things like: should I make a starter for my dregs or just add them to the primary, if I was going to just add them to the primary how many bottles would I need (assuming they are fresh and full of bugs), can I do this with a bucket, how long could I keep it in a bucket, etc? I'm just having trouble finding the info, but I assume it is out there.

Start here: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/brewing-sour-beer-at-home.html

Then give a poke around the rest of his site. I also recommend the wildbrews book for some big picture education. :)

As a noob to sours as well, the above link helped me get a better understanding of things.

Alot of people post threads regarding certain things that are happening to their beer as it ages etc and people help them to find out what is going on. This information is useful in helping you do things correctly from the get go.

good luck

Back