Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Double Kriek

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #21
johnnyjumpup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Thanks. I'll give an Orval a try and move on to Wyeast or White Labs if I don't have any luck. I'm not in a huge hurry as it is my understanding that brett added too early doesn't give as much character as it does when added in secondary (I suppose the stress induces production of the signature compounds?)

The Goose Island Matilda culture hasn't shown any signs of activity yet, though I'm not sure what to look for in a small starter with a tiny amount of Brett in it....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
brewbobaggins
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe
Orval is a good bet. I don't believe it's a single brett strain per Brew Like a Monk. If you don't want anything other than brett, Petrus or any other Flanders is out. I really wouldn't bother looking for the Ommegang either. It's on the 'historical' list on their website. They have brewed a couple Biere de Gardes recently, so that might be the confusion.

Your best bet is to buy some Wyeast Brux, IMO.
Correct. From my experience (research and firsthand) Orval is Brett brux and lamb.

Check out my latest homebrewing thoughts, recipes, tastings, and happenings at Ten Bottle Brewing. Drinking, researching, and brewing just about every style, with an emphasis on the bacteria-laden variety. Enjoy and brew on!

johnnyjumpup Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great, I was hoping to get B. lamb, as it is supposed to be the most characteristic strain. Wouldn't mind a bit of B. brux either.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
runs4beer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Isn't Jester King in Austin? I believe they have a 100% brett saison. Could be wrong but about that but they have a lot of funky beers to think about harvesting from.

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They are here, and have a pretty big selection. All of the bottles read "Farmhouse ale yeast", and don't indicate anything else about the yeast or bugs in them. I've heard from a friend that some of them have really nasty sourness to them (so I'm thinking lacto and or pedio) but he didn't know which ones. Have you tried many of these? If so what did you think of them?
It's about time I started trying them I suppose!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
Beernoulli
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs4beer
Isn't Jester King in Austin? I believe they have a 100% brett saison. Could be wrong but about that but they have a lot of funky beers to think about harvesting from.
Jester King just came out with El Cedro, which is fermented in primary with their house farmhouse yeast, then bottle conditioned with a strain of Brett. The dregs would be mostly Brett, but it's unfiltered so there would still be some Sacc in there. All of there other non-clean beers have some form of bacteria, no 100% Brett beer yet.

I'm a fan of their sour beers, really like the das Uberkind and das Wunderkind. Used the dregs of Funk Metal in a sour stout of my own. Haven't sampled yet, but there is a pellicle so the dregs are viable.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #27
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice, I think the Cerdo is only available bottled at two places at the moment, but it sounds like I should seek it out.

I'm going to post this in the yeast forum too but- the starter (DME and molasses) that I added Goose Island dregs has not formed any krausen, but there appears to be more sediment now (after about 24 hours) than there was in the bottle... I suppose this means the critters from the Goose Island are growing?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #28
todd46
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjumpup
I'm going to post this in the yeast forum too but- the starter (DME and molasses) that I added Goose Island dregs has not formed any krausen, but there appears to be more sediment now (after about 24 hours) than there was in the bottle... I suppose this means the critters from the Goose Island are growing?
It's possible, or just added sediment from your starter liquid. Is this on a stir plate and/or are you aerating it somehow regularly (giving it a shake/stir somewhat often)? In my experience some dregs can take a full few days to show any signs of life but eventually get going. It probably just needs a little more time or oxygen (depending on how you're doing it).
Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #29
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No stir plate, just in a wide glass jug. I've bee swirling it, I'll be a bit more vigorous though. I didn't want to damage the yeast, so I've been gentle since adding the dregs. Perhaps that is unnecessary?

I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so before I give up. Any idea what I should see? Just regular old krausen?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
todd46
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjumpup
No stir plate, just in a wide glass jug. I've bee swirling it, I'll be a bit more vigorous though. I didn't want to damage the yeast, so I've been gentle since adding the dregs. Perhaps that is unnecessary?

I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so before I give up. Any idea what I should see? Just regular old krausen?
Yeah, swirl the hell out of it as often as possible, no need to be gentle. You'll see normal krausen signs eventually (you'll swirl it and it will suds up like you're swirling a carbonated drink). It's always very satisfying once that finally happens

Quick Reply