*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Double Kriek

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
johnnyjumpup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Sour Double Kriek

I'm in the process of brewing a beer inspired by two great things that I've been introduced to since December: Three Philosophers style kriek type Belgens, and sour beer. I have a five gallon batch boiling on the stove right now. Grains: Vienna malt, brewer's 2-row, caraveienne, and de-bittered black malt. Hops: Palisade and Crystal.
Special bits: 3 tbs cacao nibs, 2 pounds frozen whole black cherries, peppercorns (3), nutmeg (<1g), cardamon (seeds of one pod), 2 quarts black cherry juice, 4.5 cups brown sugar.
Yeast: Trappist ale yeast (from White Labs), plus, and this is the exciting bit, dregs from Lindemans Kriek and New Belgum's Brett Beer.

Anyone tried anything like this? Any cellaring tips? Think this sounds bad, or great?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2169 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 2144

It's probably too late, but you really want to save the cherries and juice for after the primary fermentation. If you put them in before you pitch the yeast, you'll lost most of the cherry flavor. 3 philosophers is a quad or belgian strong dark ale with cherry kried added to it. So if you want to try it again, look for a quad recipe and then bottle with 2% kriek mixed in. I'd skip the spices, too. For the yeast, hopefully you made a starter from the White Labs vial or you'll severly underpitch. I don't think there's anything good in the Lindeman's bottle and New Belgium's beers are all pasturized so there is nothing in that one either.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback TNGabe,
Damn, I was worried about the possibility that the Lindeman's was filtered. I was hoping that all the sediment in the New Belgium meant that there were still some live bugs in it, damn again.
Regarding under-pitching, I don't typically make starters. Do you thing the OG will be so high that it will severely stress the yeast? I want to stress them a little bit to add weird esters to the beer (not going for anything described as "clean" here), but I don't want a stuck fermentation. It's not too late to drop by the brew shop and grab another vial, it would be nice to have an excuse to add a strain...

Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
TNGabe
Recipes 

If Og is over 1.050, you need more than one vial. Did you brew it already?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did brew it already. I'm about to pop it in the fermenter (as it has just now cooled enough) and will check the OG. I suspect it is a few above 1.050, maybe as much as 1.070 as I gave it a two hour boil. Any suggestions for White Labs strains to add to the Trappist strain for a high gravity, fruity, esthery character to complement the brett (where ever I ultimately get it from)?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
TNGabe
Recipes 

It should be plenty complex already, but a second strain won't hurt at this point. Any of the other trappist/abbey strains would be a safe bet.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Super. I'm adding a vial of WL Belgian Strong Ale. Plus another 2 gallons of water since it boiled down so much (the OG was 1.092!!).

I'll be looking for a commercial sour to harvest some brett from, but I want to avoid lacto and pedio. I want the barnyard and even a little acetic acid that Monk's Cafe has (maybe I need pedio for that?) but not as much of the actual lemon juice like acid quality of La Folle. Any suggestions?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 3310

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjumpup View Post
Super. I'm adding a vial of WL Belgian Strong Ale. Plus another 2 gallons of water since it boiled down so much (the OG was 1.092!!).

I'll be looking for a commercial sour to harvest some brett from, but I want to avoid lacto and pedio. I want the barnyard and even a little acetic acid that Monk's Cafe has (maybe I need pedio for that?) but not as much of the actual lemon juice like acid quality of La Folle. Any suggestions?
This thread is a great story of expectations,
Using dregs form pasteurized bottles.
Estimating a .07 gravity when its over .09

Great job at leaping right in! Your prob like me and have to do things with your hands to make it real.

Looks like an awesome mish-mosh of flavors that both those yeasts would give lots of flavor from, as others have stated always save honeys, juices, and fruit for 2/3 sugar break addition (honey,juices) or racking in secondary (fruit)
Try looking around some online HBS for that brett. Ive got WLP644 brett brux trois and it gives AWESOME peachy, fruity tones when green but if aged long enough has the ability to turn into that barnyard funk you desire not so much acidity but a nice punch of funk (i like to differentiate funk/sour) i think they just made it into a year round strain also!

Cheers would love to do a homebrew swap for some bottles if it ends up fermenting out! Good Luck!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone
johnnyjumpup Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
todd46
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjumpup

100% Brett commercial beers are tricky to come by in my experience, although I know Mikkeller has a 100% Brett B. out right now as part of their yeast series, look for that if your local shop has a good selection.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
brewbobaggins
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Russian River Salvation is 100% beer with viable dregs. And Orval has two types of Brett in it w/ no pedio/lacto. But I believe Orval does have Sacchro.

Check out my latest homebrewing thoughts, recipes, tastings, and happenings at Ten Bottle Brewing. Drinking, researching, and brewing just about every style, with an emphasis on the bacteria-laden variety. Enjoy and brew on!

johnnyjumpup Likes This 

Quick Reply