New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > sour in bucket, rack to carboy even with pelicle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
MIhomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default sour in bucket, rack to carboy even with pelicle?

Hello,

I recently brewed my first sour and I clearly didn't do enough research because I left it in my fermenting bucket and now a pelicle has formed.. my question is should I rack into my glass carboy from under the pelicle or just let it ride? Should I be worried about too much oxygen causing the beer to turn into vinegar?

The beer is a blonde recipe that I added rr and jolly pumpkin dregs to.. it smells delicious, don't want to screw it up!

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, I searched but couldnt find anything.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIhomebrew
Hello, I recently brewed my first sour and I clearly didn't do enough research because I left it in my fermenting bucket and now a pelicle has formed.. my question is should I rack into my glass carboy from under the pelicle or just let it ride? Should I be worried about too much oxygen causing the beer to turn into vinegar? The beer is a blonde recipe that I added rr and jolly pumpkin dregs to.. it smells delicious, don't want to screw it up! I apologize in advance if this has been covered, I searched but couldnt find anything. Thanks!
Yes, you want to rack it to the glass carboy. The bucket will definitely let too much oxygen in..... I'm sure it's been covered a million times but it's simple enough to answer. . Cheers!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ahh let her ride. You let in more oxygen by opening and ssampling than the bucket. Sour on young lad.......

My hop stopper

Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy
Ahh let her ride. You let in more oxygen by opening and ssampling than the bucket. Sour on young lad.......
Sorry, but this is bad advice. If you age a beer in a bucket long term, it will develop what most people consider an unpalatable amount of acetic acid.
Here is a chart from Jeff Sparrow's Wild Brews.

image-3400118759.jpg

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe

Sorry, but this is bad advice. If you age a beer in a bucket long term, it will develop what most people consider an unpalatable amount of acetic acid.
Here is a chart from Jeff Sparrow's Wild Brews.
Define long term, over 3 years? I've aged sours in buckets for over a year without any excessive acetic qualities or flavor. I don't go by sparrows chart for plastic o2 levels and have no issues.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 529

the issue with buckets isn't the plastic itself afaik its the often questionable gasket and seal which is likely why people have different results/experiences

Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj
the issue with buckets isn't the plastic itself afaik its the often questionable gasket and seal which is likely why people have different results/experiences
Well that's an easy fix, get better lids

Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaips1
Define long term, over 3 years? I've aged sours in buckets for over a year without any excessive acetic qualities or flavor. I don't go by sparrows chart for plastic o2 levels and have no issues.
Everyone's palate is different. If it works for you, that's great.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
MIhomebrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sounds like there are lots of different views! I think I'll move to the carboy just in case but I'm hoping it will be done by next spring. Still pretty new to brewing and haven't developed much patience.

Any tips for racking with a pelicle? Will I still have enough of the delicious yeast for them to keep working their magic?

And last but not least, can I brew another blonde and dump on this yeast cake (same day I rack whats there to carboy) or should I not even try re-using this yeast combo?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

just rack as you normally would, the pellicle will reform in the carboy, it's just a sign there is oxygen

you can defnitely re-use the cake if you'd like, generally it works faster the 2nd go around

Quick Reply