Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour beer advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
neilph7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sour beer advice

Hello brewers!
I am making a sour beer and I am looking to discuss the process. I started with a sour mash, did a clean ferment (kind of like a pale ale with Wyeast American Wheat) and racked into secondary. Here I added dregs from a previous sour beer (lambic blend) and I have noticed a nice a nice white film over the top. I would like to go for a high degree of sour, and I've been reading that its best to inoculate with this culture for primary to achieve what I'm aiming for. If that true in your experience?
I plan on adding another lambic blend (as soon as it comes in, that is), unless there were another type of souring yeast that would help me reach maximum sour over the next year or so.
Thanks for your advice! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
neilph7
Recipes 

Just to be clear, I have not yet added a sour culture except for the dregs...

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd add the dregs from a couple of commercial sours rather than another pack of Lambic Blend.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
neilph7
Recipes 

So, instead of adding the lambic blend i should use dregs? Do you have a favorite kind?

Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeast doesn't make beer sour, although brett can make it extremely dry, which will make any sourness stand out. The vast majority of sourness in your beer will come from the sour mash. Since you added the dregs after a clean ferment, most of the available sugar is gone, and the ABV is too high for lacto to survive. If there's any pedio in thev dregs, it will probably add a small degree of sourness, but what you're mostly going to get at this point is brett-derived dryness and complexity. If you add fruit at some point down the line, that would be an additional source of acidity/sourness.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Lacto can take a good bit of alcohol (~8%), but craps out at 3.8Ph. While the brett can handle more than twice the alcohol and a Ph of 3.4.

Wyeast says their lactic strain can tolerate alcohol up to 9%, although that could be marketing.

The bigger problem you're going to hit is hops, anything over 10 ibus stops the bugs cold. (ie. hops original purpose in beer)

Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
neilph7
Recipes 

Yes, hops! I used debittered hops in the boil, and maybe only an ounce or less. I saved then for that reason.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
MaltedNewby
Recipes 

Are you saying to start with one particular yeast (lacto) then use a second after the yeast dies off?

How long does fermentation take for sours? I'm curious if its the fermenting that takes so long or just waiting on the beer to develop.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltedNewby View Post
Are you saying to start with one particular yeast (lacto) then use a second after the yeast dies off?

How long does fermentation take for sours? I'm curious if its the fermenting that takes so long or just waiting on the beer to develop.
Lacto is short for Lactobacillus a lactic acid producing bacteria. It's not yeast. It's very slow (in beer) but is responsible for (some of) the sour acidic taste in sours.
Sour Patch Cider | CoCo Quad | The Way it Gose | Saison d'Banjo | Saison The Elder | Dry Irish Stout | 1/2 & 1/2 (Slumbrew My Better Half clone) | Atomic Red | New England Cyser | Thursday Nite Porter | Concord Trippel | CinaGuava Winter Ale | Far East IPA (x4) | Gingered Wheat | Haitian Cream Stout

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
DeTech
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilph7 View Post
Yes, hops! I used debittered hops in the boil, and maybe only an ounce or less. I saved then for that reason.
Any idea where you are in~%abv and or gravity? The options really depend on what's left.

Quick Reply