Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Someone said this is a pellicle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
djengh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiditynerd View Post
It doesn't " look" like a pellicle though. I had the same happen to my last two stouts? Did u use lactose or maltodextrin?
Here's a better Picture from the top.
infection.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Aww. That's starting to look like it now. Have you gone through the pellicle pix yet? Mine looked similar but wasn't infected, at least if it was it didn't taste or smell it. When I compared it to the awesome pellicle pix thread I was a little relieved. It never had a krausen, just that ugly bubble film.

....just add water.....

Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
djengh
Recipes 

Default Microscope pix

I took a couple pictures with 40x magnification with as steady of a hand as I could with my Droid Razr. Sorry for the lack of clarity and lighting. As someone that's completely new to this I'm just stumbling forward. In the pic I can see several rounder microbes which I assume is the healthy yeast? and a bunch of the longer tubular shaped microbes I'm thinking may be Lactos? I forgot my kid had a microscope so I hope this helps.

I don't mind riding it out for a sour beer. I think that would be interesting but would It hurt to re-pitch yeast? I used US-05 on this batch which I washed the yeast. My FG should be at 1.011 and its at 1.027 and holding.

wild-yeast-stout-1.jpg   wild-yeast-stout-2.jpg  

Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
djengh
Recipes 

I checked the yeast I took from the primary and It was clean. Since I have a choice to wait it out or dump it, I decided to rack it into a bottling bucket and cleaned the carboy and transferred it back. The beer smells great but does have a bit of a sour aftertaste. I figured if I was going to let it sit longer, I'd take it off the trub and I then repitched hydrated us-05 which is what I used from the start. The gravity has been sitting at 1.027 and since repitching, it has started bubbling again.

Question is, how long should I let it sit in the carboy? or should I put it in a keg to store it for 8 months to a year?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Repitching might help, if it is infected only because the sacc would out live any lacto or pedio. But that should already be there. I like your attitude on stickin it out. Way to go but for my best bet, it turns out fine. Let us know

....just add water.....

djengh Likes This 

Quick Reply