Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Lambic & Wild Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/)
-   -   Someone said this is a pellicle (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/someone-said-pellicle-397110/)

djengh 03-12-2013 05:28 PM

Someone said this is a pellicle
 
1 Attachment(s)
This is an Oatmeal Stout I've had in the secondary for 2 weeks or so with a brew belt on to bring it to temp. Pellicle pics that I've seen have mold like mounds on them and this looks like an oily slick. It smells Great like a stout should and tastes ok but with a little bite. Sorry for my Newb terms but this is the first I've run into this. I've read many people suggest Bottling or kegging and letting it sit for about a year. I have no problem with that. Also, will I be able to rid the fermenter of this infection for future use without concern of re-contamination? I've always been very good at keeping things sterile apparently until now.

suprchunk 03-12-2013 05:30 PM

Looks like lacto to me. Hard to say for sure from just a small picture though. Have you sampled it? Is it sour? And you should have no issue sanitizing that. I take it that it is glass?

liquiditynerd 03-12-2013 05:30 PM

It doesn't " look" like a pellicle though. I had the same happen to my last two stouts? Did u use lactose or maltodextrin?

Halbrust 03-12-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquiditynerd (Post 4998581)
Did u use lactose or maltodextrin?

Curious as to why you asked this?

homebrewdad 03-12-2013 05:33 PM

Looks infected to me, sorry.

liquiditynerd 03-12-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbrust
Curious as to why you asked this?

Kinda trouble shooting. I only had this happen when I used lactose. It never soured but looked freaky. I nearly had a heart attack when I got back from A week away to find something that looked very similar. I since put it into a cask and the sample tasted phenomenal. So.... I was trying to ascertain his ingredient list. Oat, milk, etc...

tophmck 03-12-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquiditynerd (Post 4998613)
Kinda trouble shooting. I only had this happen when I used lactose. It never soured but looked freaky. I nearly had a heart attack when I got back from A week away to find something that looked very similar. I since put it into a cask and the sample tasted phenomenal. So.... I was trying to ascertain his ingredient list. Oat, milk, etc...

Interesting. I've had a film like this on a non-sour batch just once, and it was a milk stout.

Halbrust 03-12-2013 06:11 PM

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/lactose-film-376390/
This is why I asked.
It's still in the primary fermenter, so I can't speak to sourness.

liquiditynerd 03-12-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbrust
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/lactose-film-376390/
This is why I asked.
It's still in the primary fermenter, so I can't speak to sourness.

That's exactly the time I was away for Xmas in upstate NY. When I got back South it had warmed up and that's exactly what I found. I had been collecting lacto, pedio, and Brett cultures so I figured I must've screwed up. It is about to be bottled today or tomorrow after spending a month in a balcones whiskey cask.

Sorry I missed your post, I guess the three of us are trying to figure out the same problem at the same time.

djengh 03-13-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquiditynerd (Post 4998581)
It doesn't " look" like a pellicle though. I had the same happen to my last two stouts? Did u use lactose or maltodextrin?

Here's the ingredient list.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 2.5 lbs Maris Otter
- 0.5 lbs Black Malt
- 0.5 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.5 lbs flaked oats
FERMENTABLES
- 3.15 lbs Dark malt syrup
- 1 lb Briess Dark dry malt extract
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 2 oz US Fuggle (60 min)
YEAST
- DRY YEAST (DEFAULT): Safale S-04 Ale Yeast.

It's a NB recipe kit.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.