Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Slime Beer (Sick phase)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #21
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You very likely had a not so clean isolation, or it was just environmental contamination from your cellar.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 84 Posts

As I mentioned previously, I am aware of what is going on within the beer, I know it is a good thing - I just threw this out as a thread in the event anyone else has experienced it and what their experience was.
I'm guessing there may have been some contamination from the original strain/sample, as it was slimy before the barrel and my sanitation is fairly good. 99% sure it wasn't the cellar, cultures were blended and then brought to the barrel in isolation, but I won't rule anything out 100%.

Thanks for the responses, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. I'll post some photos by the end of the week.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 AM   #23
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing View Post
As I mentioned previously, I am aware of what is going on within the beer, I know it is a good thing - I just threw this out as a thread in the event anyone else has experienced it and what their experience was.
I'm guessing there may have been some contamination from the original strain/sample, as it was slimy before the barrel and my sanitation is fairly good. 99% sure it wasn't the cellar, cultures were blended and then brought to the barrel in isolation, but I won't rule anything out 100%.

Thanks for the responses, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible. I'll post some photos by the end of the week.
Photos! I would love to see how viscous this thing actually is

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
kerosin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

@ChugachBrewing:
Do you remember which strains were affected? This may allow us to get a connection to the beers I isolated the strains from.

I guess you mean something along these lines:

I actually cannot rule out that there might be some Pedio in the samples. I did not use any antibiotics back then. I did not encounter any problems with any of my samples so far. So I cannot tell where you got your Pedios from.

Cheers, Sam

Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #25
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

I didn't note them, didn't think too much into it at the time. Just FYI, don't think I'm complaining by any means, I'm just being scientific .

Also, now that work has died down and I've gotten a microscope, I hope to be getting more of my cultures processed. I'll be sending you some samples (Sam) in the next month or so.

Yes, it looks JUST like that video. Hard to swallow.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #26
kerosin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

@ChugachBrewing
No worries and I don't mind honest observations. That's how it should be. Otherwise, if no one is allowed to criticize your work, where would we all be today?

As I said, I cannot rule out that some Pedios may have been in the samples since I never plated the samples on antibiotic agar. However no one got back to me with such results so far. I know that various people had a look at the samples and did not mention any bacteria contaminants.

Let me know about results of your microscopy investigations. And I am already looking forward to get new yeasts to play around with

Beers from Fantome seem to be especially prone for ropiness...
Cheers, Sam

Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #27
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Just checked it again. I swear, I could climb Denali with the rope this beer has...

Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #28
DrNeato
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Maybe a spell of warm weather will "loosen" things up, as well as activate some of the brett? iirc, from Wild Brews, a second Brett phase is supposed to come along after the pedio/lacto and lean things up.

Hopefully it breaks up a bit before you have to move.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #29
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Right, but I thought that tended to happen when temps cooled? I could be mistaken, someone has my copy of wild brews right now. Here's to hoping.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #30
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Did anything discernable happen over the last month?

Quick Reply