Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Slime Beer (Sick phase)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
ChugachBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

This beer has a lot of different bugs in it. I pitched every strain from the EBY experiment.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What temperature is the beer sitting at? I think higher temperatures get the Brett more active and it works on the Pedio products.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

This time of year, 50-60 deg.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing View Post
This beer has a lot of different bugs in it. I pitched every strain from the EBY experiment.
I am by no means an expert, but could biological overload be a cause here maybe? maybe the sheer amount of different bacteria is what's causing problems?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
I am by no means an expert, but could biological overload be a cause here maybe? maybe the sheer amount of different bacteria is what's causing problems?
I'm assuming Chugach has a ton of bugs in there as well, but the EBY experiment strains were all Brett isolates, right?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I'm assuming Chugach has a ton of bugs in there as well, but the EBY experiment strains were all Brett isolates, right?
Not sure, but from my (extremely limited) research, brett doesn't cause ropiness, but pediococcus and acetobacter can

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
Not sure, but from my (extremely limited) research, brett doesn't cause ropiness, but pediococcus and acetobacter can
Right, pedio is usually the culprit. I was just guessing that the EBY brett strains aren't contributing to the sickness as they should be pure yeast without other bacteria/bugs.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing
So what you're saying is I shouldn't take the extra 4z I'll have left after bottling and mix tem together.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #19
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

I would imagine pedio is present, since many of the strains came from beers that are known to have pedio in them. I'm guessing that is what's doing it. I'm not sure of the EBY process, but perhaps there was some pedio in there. Not sure what else it could be.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry but isnt this "sick" texture a good thing? Are you just concerned about how to "push" it out of the barrel? I think if you can just wait it out you will be in good shape. I cant say I am speaking from experience though, so I am probably not the right person to answer this. I have a friend who brews beers commercially and has experienced sick beers. He posts on here - I am going to see him on Thurs and tell him to take a look at this thread.

I remember an awesome podcast from the BN where they had Vinnie in the studio with the crew and he talks about bugs and barrel aging. If you skip to the end around 03:44:00 or so Vinnie talks about his beer being sick in the bottle and discussing "ropiness" with the Cantillon crew who tell Vinnie that beer being sick is a very good thing and will lead to a beer with more depth. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/mem...ve01-17-10.mp3. It is going to go away - it just might be a while.

All that said I would love to see some pictures of this.

Quick Reply