Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Slime Beer (Sick phase)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
ChugachBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts

Default Slime Beer (Sick phase)

Just wondering who here has had a beer go through a sick phase before...? I've got a 50gal barrel of sour beer that is definitely 'sick' and am curious if anyone has had any experience with this. I am aware the pedio is currently in its exopolysaccharides phase, and have already spoken with Michael of the mad fermenter. He's seen it once. Anyone else?

It tastes great, but the texture is like maple syrup that comes out your nose and is exceptionally viscous. Hasn't changed in a month and a half. Going to be a hard brew to push.

I put it under a microscope and the bugs are busy. Looking for serious responses here.

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Subscribed. I am curious about this since I haven't (but plan to) dabbled with pedio, yet.

Could you maybe provide a recipe along with mash temperature? (If it's a high mash, the complex sugars may be causing the pedio to take longer to do it's work, but that's just a conjecture).

Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Infusion mash at 153.

100 lbs M.O.
6 lb Munich
2 lb SP-B
7 lb light munich
2.5 ea roasted barley and chocolate
6 lb aromatic
8 lb wheat

Check out my new blog brouwerijchuchach for information on fermenting beer, baking bread, pizza, and other experiments.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

I've got one in the bottle now where the pedio has kicked back up. It's thick and buttery like fake maple syrup. A friend was very excited to get some De Garde bottles when they were released. Most were borderline undrinkable because of the ropiness. Fun to pour though, I'd never seen a beer look like that before.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

This isn't buttery at all. It has strands that will stretch across the room like a hot glue gun. Did yours ever go "regular"?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
marvaden
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I'm pretty sure that grain bill and mash temperature rules out my idea as to why it might take so long in the sick phase.

It looks like you probably had a decently high OG (for a sour), so that is probably at least a factor in this. (I am not surprised that you would have a big. wild. ale. at all ). Though, your signature makes me think that this isn't the first big sour that you have done... I would expect some consistency in microbial behavior to similar environments.

Hopefully one of the guys that does commercial brewing chimes in on this. I obviously am out of my element here, but I respond in the hopes that it draws some attention to your thread.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugachBrewing View Post
This isn't buttery at all. It has strands that will stretch across the room like a hot glue gun. Did yours ever go "regular"?
It's only been bottled about two months, but I'm hoping it does because it was tasting great when bottled. People rave about De Garde so I'm assuming their stuff clears up.

One of my WLP665 batches was pretty thick when I transferred after about a month and has cleared up, but it wasn't anywhere near what your's sounds like.

You've heard the interview with Vinnie where he talks about seeing Jean Van Roy pour a snotty sample? I'm sure yours will clear up. You should email Vinnie. It was a few years ago, but he said he'd love to hear from anyone with sick beer.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had a pLambic that got so ropy I almost vomited after tasting the sample. It never got "thick" or syrupy.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Yeah, it took 2 tries before I swallowed a gulp. I have a shot of it from my scope but can't load a wmv or whatever. PM me with an email and I'll send it to you.

@marvaden, yeah i do this a lot. i have a few other things posted.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mine with pedio from ECY have all gone through a sick phase. So far thats 4 beers in the last two years. One even got sick again in the bottle using the original Bug County release in a saison wort. It took a year to clear up in the bottle. My fermentors seem to get sick with in 3 months of brewing, I ferment totally with the souring culture, not as a secondary pitch. It can take a while to break down and sometimes it will get to the point where you are not sure if its body or remaining exopolysaccharide. When that happens err on a very thin remaining exopolysaccharide for a bit longer.

I will check my sour imperial stout today, that thing was borderline gelatin 3 months ago.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply