Slanting Lambic Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
I figure this question has been asked before but I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'll ask it again. Can you put a lambic blend on a slant like you do for normal yeast for saving to a yeast bank? Im assumeing that the blend will grow on malt agar but Im wondering if when I take a sample out to grow up to a starter if I will get everything I want or just get part of the blend and not all the differnt strains that make it a blend. Anybody ever had any experience with this?

I don't know anyone who has tried but I am preparing to do this, I will be making both slants of 7*P wort media and stabs of 2*P dextrose media and inoculating both. Both will be propagated up the same prior to pitching. We will see how it goes. Worst case, the beer will be really really sour from a high concentration of bacteria, which is just fine with me. :D

I'm not sure you will have much luck unless you isolate each yeast strain and each bacteria and store them individually. I've also heard that lacto and pedio are better cultured in liquid vs on a solid medium.

I would agree with bokonon. If you tried to culture a mix of things you would have a host of microorganisms fighting for the same resources and inevitably I would think some would out compete others. I would say isolate first then store.

Isolating each individual organism in a blend is nearly impossible for the lay person. I recently did this, culturing temptation. I did 2 on just 8% DME and agar and two on 8% DME, some dextrose, and agar. It'll probably be a while before I get results, but they are cultured.

Isolating each individual organism in a blend is nearly impossible for the lay person. I recently did this, culturing temptation. I did 2 on just 8% DME and agar and two on 8% DME, some dextrose, and agar. It'll probably be a while before I get results, but they are cultured.

Just curious. It seems like it would be nice if the agar/culture liquified at around 90/100 F?

would slanting, then building a starter from a lambic blend throw off the ratio of the original blend? Would it be enough to notice?

would slanting, then building a starter from a lambic blend throw off the ratio of the original blend? Would it be enough to notice?

Normal wort-based slant media would definitely favor saccharomyces yeast growth rather than brettanomyces and bacteria growth. Whether this would be a problem or not I have no idea... Anybody for an experiment? :eek:

Back