Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > should I make an imperial kriek or cut back somewhere?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default should I make an imperial kriek or cut back somewhere?

I brewed the base for a kriek last summer.I ended up getting way better efficiency than i anticipated and it came in at 1.064. I'm now getting ready to add cherries in a month or so and if i did my calculations right the kriek will be in the neighborhood of 10% abv if i add the 6lbs of cherries i originally planned on. so my question is should i just go for it and make a monster of a kriek, should i cut back on cherries, or should I drop the abv and increase volume by adding some sterile water (i'm against this option but open minded to suggestion)?

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

The addition of whole cherries shouldn't increase the ABV of your beer in any substantial way. I'm not sure of the degrees plato for cherries, but most fruit has enough water to cancel out it's sugar so that it will either negligibly raise the ABV of a low gravity beer or decrease the ABV of a high gravity beer.

With your 1.064 OG, your lambic/kriek will likely stay in the upper 7% to low 8% range.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm using the vintner harvest cherry puree. It says the cans are between 1.092 and 1.115 I figured that to be about a 1.025 once added to the beer. I could be way off in my math though. I just wanna make sure I get some cherry flavor and get it sour enough without killing the bacteria.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Quick Reply