Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Separate set up equipment for brewing lambics?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
BoogieBrandBooze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Separate set up equipment for brewing lambics?

Hi all,

I'm about to start on my first lambic which is at once exciting and somewhat frightening. Upon speaking with my LHBS one person suggested that whatever equipment I use to make it I should not use for regular brews again. His rationale was that the bacteria are extremely hard to get rid of and the chances are that at least some will stick around no matter what sanitation process I use. Is this a reasonable? I mean, I know with a lambic I'm purposefully introducing things that would ruin a typical beer but to go to the point of keeping another set up around just for lambics? Is the bacteria really that persistent? I'm using the Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend 3278.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
beeraroundtown
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are probably fine, but I'm starting to separate some stuff between clean and funky just in case. Mostly just stoppers and other cheap stuff. Glass carboys should be fine, none of your main equipment probably comes in contact with it, so really maybe only a separate bottling bucket/wand, airlocks, tubing, and autosiphon would be needed if you are worried about it.

I don't think any of the wild yeast or bacteria are much harder to kill off, just their presence is more noticeable if you don't sanitize properly, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just make sure you sanitize well. I sanitize twice, once with bleach and once with star san. I've never had a problem with glass carboys, and I've used old tubing and tossed it afterwards.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

make that clean AND sanitize well. I would go for a hot PBW soak on all cold side equipment used for wild and regular beer. Follow that up with a good sanitizer and store sanitized. Then, hit it with a hot rinse and more sanitizer when you are ready to use.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
BoogieBrandBooze
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guys! I guess the lesson is sanitize, sanitize, sanitize...

Quick Reply