Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Secondary with B. lambicus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoccer View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I do have another question.... I have a friend doing some work in Belgium now and he's going to bring back a few Cantillion beers for me. I was wondering if I should brew an entirely new batch with something like a WY3711 (mashing on the high side, of course) and add the dregs of a few bottles of Cantillion's beers to the secondary (or just add on top of the primary). I also wanted to do a separate batch with Roselare and blend them together (in different ratios) in about 6 months. Any comments on these ideas?

Cheers!
3711 is more attenuative than I would go for, even if mashing high if you want a sour beer. Six months is also pretty quick for a true sour beer. Rather than putting the beer on a schedule, get them going and judge based on flavor/gravity when they are ready to blend/bottle.

Good luck!

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm still waiting on my friend to get back from Belgium with some Cantillion and various other sour beers. What is the best way to go about using the bottle dregs? Do I brew a batch with a fairly neutral yeast and pitch the bugs in the primary with the yeast, or secondary? Should I make a starter with bottle dregs? I know that the different organisms in the bottles are going to be on different time scales, so I guess a starter isn't really necessary. Just wondering how to get the population of bugs in the beer higher, other than just dumping the dregs of 12 bottles into some fresh wort. I might only get 4 or 5 beers, so maybe it would be good to pitch the dregs of one bottle in with the yeast and then pitch more dregs every 2 weeks or so.... Does this sound like a good idea? I don't really want to drink 4 or 5 sour beers in one night.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I like to just toss the dregs directly in primary along with a healthy culture of primary yeast (pretty much any strain works). Growing a mixed culture is risky, but can work if you are interested in only using the dregs. You can certainly add more dregs later on, but the earlier they get in there the better. I tend to try to start with 2 bottles worth of dregs just in case one has an issue. You can save the dregs in a jar of wort in the fridge if you want to collect them, but not risk growing them.

Good luck!

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Another question about bottling my wild/sour beers. Do I need to add some neutral ale yeast (US-05???) to the bottles with priming sugar whenever I bottle, or will the B. lambicus carbonate the beer over the long bottle conditioning time? I'm not really on any time scale with this one. I added 50 g of medium toast French oak chips soaked in Shiraz last week, and I'm planning on adding ~1 kg of cherries in October and bottling in January. I would like to bottle a couple of 750 mL bottles without the cherries just to compare at a later date.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I always add champagne yeast when I bottle. An hour or so before bottling I add it to a little bit of sugar water then pour the yeast into the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar. Next I rack the beer into the bucket to make sure there is an even distribution of yeast and sugar. Sometimes for a little bit of variety I prime with different syrups instead of priming sugars. Tart cherry concentrate works great to turn a straight lambic into a kriek.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Quick Reply