Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > saving dregs? suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #21
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Maybe we should start thinking sanitized instead of sterilized. Why don't you baggie folks just spray down your sacks with some star san before you go to the bar (it might even help you single folk hookup). That way you can rest assured that you're carrying home the good bugs (single folks might want to spray down afterwards as well). By the way, I still think it looks like you guys are carrying around a bunch of piss bags. And I don't care if your old lady is carrying it for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
BrewSpook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, looking to get some input. I have dregs from 2 jp bam bieres sitting in my fridge that I really want to use. Due to an unfortunate illness with my dog, I won't be able to brew for a while, as she requires constant supervision.

I have two 1 gallon batches left over from a sparkling mead I made last year (bottled 3 gals and split rest into growlers with airlocks)

Anyone pitch these beasties onto a mead before? I figure its about 9% abv and already completed fermentation. My thought is to add dregs to one and age out, maybe toss in some oak.

Potential for disaster? If nothing else I could brew a r gal batch later and blend them. Hmmmm

Thoughts?

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I have heard about some interesting and good results with Brett in ciders and wines (search on Babblebelt homebrew forum). I'm not sure about mead. I guess it really depends on your taste. I associate mead with trying to achieve more wine-like flavors. And Brett and other souring bugs are the biggest enemy in that industry.
There is only one way to know and that is to go for it. But if you already have a very low gravity then those bugs probably can't do much. It would be a good idea to add some dextrin when you pitch the bugs. Or I think even better idea is to add some fruit when you add the dregs.
Like you said if it doesn't turn out great, it might be a good batch to have for blending. I would think a sour braggot sounds great.
Oh, last thing is that the Jolly Pumpkin bugs are very aggressive. Of all the batch I have going, the JP dregs soured a beer in 4 months as opposed to 12-18.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
I have heard about some interesting and good results with Brett in ciders and wines (search on Babblebelt homebrew forum). I'm not sure about mead. I guess it really depends on your taste. I associate mead with trying to achieve more wine-like flavors. And Brett and other souring bugs are the biggest enemy in that industry.
I actually think of meads as being sweeter and far less tannic/acidic than wines; sour browns a la Supplication are much more "winey" to me. Gueuze has long been called the champagne of the beer world.

The dirty secret in the wine world is that while they claim to hate brett, lots of classic big reds have Brett in them. In recent years, lots of critics are starting to come around to the idea that the "unique French" character of lots of old houses is, in fact, brett activity in their barrels--many of the Bordeauxs (e.g. Chateau Pichon-Lalande) have quite noticeable brett character. http://www.wineloverspage.com/randysworld/brett.phtml is worth a read.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply