Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sanity Check for Raspberry Sour...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't boil it. If you want, you can freeze it. That also helps to rupture the cell walls and allow more access to the juices.

[807.2, 191.8] Apparent Rennerian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
Lumbee
Recipes 

So I am getting good activity from my air lock after adding fruit, and VERY nice arromas above it.

Adding the fruit has given the yeast more sugar to munch on. This means I am producing more alcohol...no?

What should I expect my final gravity/alcohol content to be?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Lumbee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Just to add, aging on the yeast cake apparently won't hurt anything when using Roselare. The Brett will clean up any products of autolysis (sp?) and avoid off flavors. So if you weren't planning the fruit, you could have just left it in primary for the whole duration. But you won't deprive it by leaving your sludge behind. The fruit gives plenty of new goodies for everything to feast on. Once you rack it, hide it from yourself and try to forget about it for a year.
Hey guys, just wanted to clearify something real quick. am I correct that I can leave thefruit in the secondary for the entire aging period (12+ months)? Or should I rack off the fruit into another container for long term aging?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbee View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to clearify something real quick. am I correct that I can leave thefruit in the secondary for the entire aging period (12+ months)? Or should I rack off the fruit into another container for long term aging?
Yea, its fine to leave it in there for the whole 12+ months. The fruit flavor will fade a bit over time, so you may want to give it a bit more raspberries ~3-4 months before bottling.

actually the rule of thumb for adding fruit to sours is 2lbs per gallon. So you are about 3 pounds short as it is. I'd say add those 3 pounds next year, give the beer 3-4 months, and then bottle.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by levifunk View Post
actually the rule of thumb for adding fruit to sours is 2lbs per gallon. .
the amount varies fruit to fruit. 2lbs/gal of raspberry would be very assertive, but it'd be good for something like peaches. id stick with the 2lb addition (for now at least)

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #26
malevolent
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you haven't already put the raspberries in, I would wait at least 6 months before you add them. Any flavor from the fruits will be gone by the time the beer is ready if you add them now

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #27
Lumbee
Recipes 

My local home brew owner baulked when I said I was going to leave the fruit in longer than 3 months. He seemed to feel it would be rancid after anything more than a few months.

I already added the Rapberries. I only did a half batch of beer, so about 2 1/2 gallons, and I added two one gallon freezer bags (1 lb. per bag?). Just judging by the aroma coming off the air lock, its hard for me to see all the raspberry flavor going away, but we shall see.

I have a cream ale that is brewing now, that I will be adding blackberries to in the same fashion. Thanx for all the feedback. Nice to not feel like I am on an island.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I make a raspberry berliner weisse which if you didn't know, is almost like a Raspberry Lambic (Lindeman's). Ready in about 6 weeks.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #29
gamb0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbee View Post
My local home brew owner baulked when I said I was going to leave the fruit in longer than 3 months. He seemed to feel it would be rancid after anything more than a few months.
Will certainly not get rancid, assuming good sanitation. Also, with healthy populations of all the Roselaere critters chomping away, nothing else is likely to compete. Doesn't sounds like your LHBS owner has ever worked with anything other than Sacc.

As others have mentioned, longer than 3 months and you may start to loose some fruit flavor and aroma as those compounds continue to be broken down by the mixed fermentation

Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #30
Lumbee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamb0056 View Post
Will certainly not get rancid, assuming good sanitation. Also, with healthy populations of all the Roselaere critters chomping away, nothing else is likely to compete. Doesn't sounds like your LHBS owner has ever worked with anything other than Sacc.

As others have mentioned, longer than 3 months and you may start to loose some fruit flavor and aroma as those compounds continue to be broken down by the mixed fermentation
Popped the top on the bucket last night and took a sample. Flavor was good, but would not want to loose any of the Raspberry flavor. Raspberries had all floated to the top. I could see the Raspberries on the very top possibly going bad just because they are not submerged in the liquid/beer. Does that make sense?

Also, I wonder if there is a way to sweeten up the beer. I am assumming I cannot just add sugar, as this would be consumed by the yeast? I wonder if I could us an artificial sweetener (heresy?) of some sort?

Quick Reply