Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sampling through pellicle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Ryan_PA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sampling through pellicle

I currently have 4 sours going, ranging in age from 6 months to 3 months in the secondary. I would like to start checking the flavor progress on some, however there is a pellicle on all 4. Last week I finally broke down and sampled the youngest (a la roja clone) since it had the thinnest pellicle. I think it was in the "sick" stage, which makes sense since it was the 3rd generation of a roselare pitch.

All 4 sours are aging using the Raj Apte psudo barrel oak dowel approach (http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php/beer/batches/flanders-red-2008), so the pellicle should last a good while. I would like to taste the beers. Do I risk disturbing the pellicle and remove the stopper/oak and pull my sample, or wait for the pellicle to fall?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
beeraroundtown
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've sampled mine through the pellicle, it just reforms. I try to limit the damage, but can't see a ton of harm.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Grew a set today and sampled the oldest of the sours, well worth it. I cannot believe this is a beer I made! I will keep letting it age for another 6-8 months, but now I am super anxious.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
simcoe4life
Recipes 

I break pellicles in my carboys all the time. One thing to consider though is that its best to sterilize your thief really really really good before attempting to sample from another sour carboy in the same session. I have a ridiculously sour, almost offense "lambic" going right now that has gotten way to funked for my taste, and somehow that taste found its way into another "lambic" carboy that was not spiked with the same bugs. I think some of the pellicle from the offensive lambic adhered itself quite neatly to my thief and got into my other carboy. Eh...

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post
I break pellicles in my carboys all the time. One thing to consider though is that its best to sterilize your thief really really really good before attempting to sample from another sour carboy in the same session. I have a ridiculously sour, almost offense "lambic" going right now that has gotten way to funked for my taste, and somehow that taste found its way into another "lambic" carboy that was not spiked with the same bugs. I think some of the pellicle from the offensive lambic adhered itself quite neatly to my thief and got into my other carboy. Eh...
This is why the world needs some sort of stainless wine thief that we can cook in an oven to sterilize. Don't those manufacturers know what we're dealing with here?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

They make stainless turkey basters with silicone bulbs. I have one I got at Bed Bath and Beyond for like $10. You can do better than put it in the oven, you can pressure cook it.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
simcoe4life
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
This is why the world needs some sort of stainless wine thief that we can cook in an oven to sterilize. Don't those manufacturers know what we're dealing with here?
Nice. Stainless steel would be a huge help. Maybe then I wouldn't leave my thief in a bucket of iodophor for hours on end!

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post
You can do better than put it in the oven, you can pressure cook it.
Could you microwave a glass one?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
womencantsail
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post
Nice. Stainless steel would be a huge help. Maybe then I wouldn't leave my thief in a bucket of iodophor for hours on end!
Not a wine thief, per se, but it serves the same purpose:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-baster.html

Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
I'm thinking a length of tube attached to the stainless part up to the injector pump.

Quick Reply