Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Saison de Provision

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #31
SumnerH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks, that pretty much accords with what my thoughts were!

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #32
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Did you pitch both at once? Can you elaborate on "really really amazing"--was it noticeably sour? Do you happen to remember your mash temp and OG/FG?

Thanks for your time!
I would have to look up the beersmith for the OG/FG but it should be close to what is listed in Brewing Classic Styles for the Saison since that is where I pulled the recipe from.

I pitched both the sour blend and the saison blend at the same time and fermented exactly like a saison, starting at 70 and ramping to the mid 80s. There was a very funky brett aroma but no real tartness until maybe 6 months down the road and it started to get a bit of noticeable sourness. Most everyone that has tried it really enjoyed it; however, it did not fare well in a competition because they said the brett overpowered the saison characteristics which I agree with from a stylistic standpoint. But, it is still a really good beer that I will probably try to rebrew soon.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #33
Texron
Recipes 

Mine has been in the bottle for about four months. I took a few for a weekend visit to my sons. We both really liked it. It had a great flavor and was a refreshing beer to drink. This fall I'm going to get a couple more batches started.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #34
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
I pitched both the sour blend and the saison blend at the same time and fermented exactly like a saison, starting at 70 and ramping to the mid 80s. There was a very funky brett aroma but no real tartness until maybe 6 months down the road and it started to get a bit of noticeable sourness.
I did a similar thing on 17 June--took my Saison recipe, mashed @155F to leave something for the bugs, pitched Roeselaire and 3711 at the same time.

I racked to a keg after a month to sit for a few months. As long as I had it open I tasted a sample, and to my surprise it's already got a noticeable (though not overly strong) sour/cherry pie note to it. It's was quite nice.

On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #35
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going through my first batch of this is record time after I got it carbed in the bottles. It is one of my favorites I have brewed yet, and will definitely be a brew-over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #36
Texron
Recipes 

Hello Sacch, I am thinking its time for me to brew another batch of this. Have you thought about any tweaks to your recipee?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #37
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
I did a similar thing on 17 June--took my Saison recipe, mashed @155F to leave something for the bugs, pitched Roeselaire and 3711 at the same time.

I racked to a keg after a month to sit for a few months. As long as I had it open I tasted a sample, and to my surprise it's already got a noticeable (though not overly strong) sour/cherry pie note to it. It's was quite nice.
This was a big hit. After 5 months it was noticeably (though not puckeringly) sour and went on tap, and it's only gotten better since. Definitely brewing this again.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #38
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only thing I would change is next time I will add bottling yeast and increase the carbonation slightly. I did not add bottling yeast to the batch, and I forgot that Brett only produce about 2/3 of the CO2 that Sacc do when they ferment sugar, so the beer is seriously undercarbonated in the bottles -- so much so it's difficult to get the cork out. The last bottle I opened I put in a plastic bottle and carbonated it with a carbonator cap, which with the higher carbonation made it taste a lot more like Fantome than the first few bottles.

I haven't touched them in about three months, as they age they keep getting better, so I'm trying to be patient.

Other than the carbonation problem, I wouldn't change a thing.

Re: the spices, you could consider adding a bit of sweet orange peel if you wanted, but definitely nothing more. The WL 565 strain provides all the spiciness you need, and the brett is the star of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply