Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Roselare yeast blend question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
rcsoccer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Roselare yeast blend question

Does anyone know what Brett strains are in the Wyeast Roselare blend? I just did a turbid mash and pitched a pack of this. Just wondering if I should expect tart cherry, horseblanket, tropical fruit, or all of the above from the Brett strains.

Also, the fermenter bubbled once every 3-4 seconds for a couple of days and now it's stopped. It was a 1.062 OG beer, but the turbid mash should give it a ton of dextrins for the bugs to chew on. Just wondering if this kind of activity is the norm. I know I need to just put it in a closet and wait for 18 months, but I was just wondering.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3686 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 3188

I got a real krasuen and a very active fermentation from my Roeselare. It was raging in 24 hours, and that was with a direct pitch from the pouch. Yeast was exactly 2 months old (date on pouch). Here's a copy/paste of the fermentation notes from my first Flanders Red:

Brewed on 19DEC10
OG = 1.068 (for 5 gallons). Will add more water after krausen falls to get back to about 5.5 or 5.75.
Yeast date: 20OCT10.

Placed in cabinet, temp = 69F.

[20DEC] Fermentation in full stride - added blowoff
[21dec] still fermenting hard. slight blowoff, with foam in tube.
[22dec] replaced blowoff with airlock. Initial fermentation over.
Very tart for sure. I add tart cherries to my sour beers (reds and browns), so I'm not sure how much of that was the yeast and how much from my fruit. I had a glass of my brown last night (from a keg!). Fantastic. This yeast is a big win.

The brown I had last night was third generation Roeselare. I know the ratio of the yeast and bacteria change over the course of several fermentations, but I'm here to tell you that it still produces a righteously good sour beer. I'm calling it quits at 3 though. I'll start fresh on the next one.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
heywatchthis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The roesalare blend didn't give me a ton of horse-blanket, but it was definitely fruity. I had a very similar experience with the activity of the yeast, with no airlock activity after ~72 hours.

Also, I would start tasting at ~10 months because you need to bottle/keg when the beer is ready. The temperature where its located will influence the amount of time needed for adequate souring.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Not to hijack your thread but with rosaelare blend did you just leave it in primary the whole time or did you rack it to secondary at any point ?

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just brewed the batch about a month ago, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. I'm looking at getting a used wine/bourbon/rum barrel and aging a blend of beers in that for about 18 months. If I find a barrel, I will transfer it and pitch some more wort over the yeast cake. If I don't find a barrel, I'm going to leave it in primary for about a year before doing anything with it.

I emailed Wyeast and they actually told me what Brettanomyces species were in this blend. B. lambicus and B. bruxellensis. Which makes sense because those are the only ones that they have....

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

To answer the original question about Brett strain. From my several years if experience, I'm pretty sure it is the Wyeast Brett L which gives off an amazing sour pie cherry flavor. Works so well in Flanders type beers.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
BrewNow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Not to hijack your thread but with rosaelare blend did you just leave it in primary the whole time or did you rack it to secondary at any point ?
I've gone both ways. Most recently I just pitched a smack pack into primary (no starter) and plan to leave it for the next 12 months. No experience yet with the final product because my first batch is just coming up to its 1 year birthday next month.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewNow View Post
I've gone both ways. Most recently I just pitched a smack pack into primary (no starter) and plan to leave it for the next 12 months. No experience yet with the final product because my first batch is just coming up to its 1 year birthday next month.

that's kinda what i want to do as well the less I need to transfer the happier I am. Also with both this and the Lambic blend I recieved a e-mail from wyeast saying that autolysis is not a concern with either blend. The only reason I even question it is that in wild brews Jeff Sparrow says 7 days in primary @68- 8 weeks in secondary@80 and then age up to 3 years at cellar temps.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you want your beer more sour and funky then leave it on the cake. If not you can transfer it to secondary a little after primary.

Brute Brew Works
Primary: Epic Flemish Brown(15g) waiting to go into a bourbon barrel, Brett C. Blackberry Berliner, lambic waiting for fruit
Secondary: Sour Brown Ale from Black IPA second runnings sitting on 2.5lbs. blackberries and 2.5lbs mulberries
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I prefer to pitch the Roesalare blend along with a balanced Belgian strain. Especially for your first pitch, you probably won't get the amount of sourness you want if you pitch the Roesalare blend in secondary. I'm on my 3rd pitch over 3 yrs and I still pitch both at the same time and the beer is finally getting to the sourness level I like.

And Bryan Thompson is correct - for more funk leave it on the yeast cake. It just matters what you are going for in the end product.

Quick Reply