Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Roselare Cake Reusage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
antiteam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Roselare Cake Reusage

I just bottled my Flanders Red that had been sitting on the bugs for 15 months. Now I have the Roselare yeast cake that I want to rack a new wort on to.

1) According to Wild Brews, each time you repitch Roselare the result is more sour than the last. Does anyone have experience and comments on this? I want something really sour, so I'm pretty excited about that.

2) This yeast cake is 15 months old. Should I have concerns about viability of anything in the mix (sacc, lacto, pedio, brett)?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used a 9 month old lambic blend yeast cake. The flanders I pitched on it soured in like 2 months!! I would add a packet of us 05 or something like that because the yeast is probably, dead or dormiant. I am now on the 3 pitch of the yeast cake. I did more of a wheat wine. I am excited to try it, just 6 more months

My hop stopper

Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

FYI, Flanders Reds are supposed to be racked off the cake for the duration of aging. Only lambics sit on the cake.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasq View Post
FYI, Flanders Reds are supposed to be racked off the cake for the duration of aging. Only lambics sit on the cake.
True that.

And I'm trying to figure out what dormiant is, from the poster above the guy I just quoted. Is that some chemical reaction from yeast and plastic?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, well I guess it's a lambic then.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I just did something similar for my 2nd Flanders Red. My Flanders sat on the yeast cake for 15 months also. And I read that even though it is not traditional to sit on the yeast cake it will actually make a more complex beer. And this makes sense to me because the Brett will have a greater carbon source (dead sacc).

As for repitching, the reason I have read for a greater sourness is because the lacto producing bacteria (pedio & lacto) are at a greater percentage because they can keep their viability much better than the Sacc.

When I repitched on to the yeast cake. I did not have any activity for a few days so I decided to pitch some dry yeast. So it might be a good idea to pitch some Sacc yeast when reusing the yeast cake.

Here is a link to my write-up on my 2nd Flanders Red
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...nders-red.html

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
drmark50
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty
I just did something similar for my 2nd Flanders Red. My Flanders sat on the yeast cake for 15 months also. And I read that even though it is not traditional to sit on the yeast cake it will actually make a more complex beer. And this makes sense to me because the Brett will have a greater carbon source (dead sacc).

As for repitching, the reason I have read for a greater sourness is because the lacto producing bacteria (pedio & lacto) are at a greater percentage because they can keep their viability much better than the Sacc.

When I repitched on to the yeast cake. I did not have any activity for a few days so I decided to pitch some dry yeast. So it might be a good idea to pitch some Sacc yeast when reusing the yeast cake.

Here is a link to my write-up on my 2nd Flanders Red
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...nders-red.html
did you reuse the entire yeast cake, pellicle and all?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #8
ardyexfor
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Re-use the cake and pitch fresh yeast. The yeast will help kick off primary fermentation and the bacteria/brett will be waiting in the wings to take over as activity slows.

No problems with leaving on the cake, from what I've read it will just make for a more "funky" beer, as the Dead yeast get consumed.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Used it all. And ardyexfor is correct that by leaving it on the cake you will produce a more Brett forward beer.

You can rack to secondary and will still get plenty of yeast and bacteria still in solution to finish the job.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've repitched my roeselares twice. About 3 months apart. Each time it took about 2 days to see active fermentation. I've also been pitching some bottle dregs too. I rack the original beers to secondary for aging with oak cubes. My first Flanders red is about 6 months old but had a really great flavor. I definitely pick up more Brett character in the subsequent beers. But I'm happy with where my yeast cake is going and the process.

Quick Reply