New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Roselare blend question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
derekm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Roselare blend question

I did my first flanders red last weekend and pitched the wyeast roselare blend. I know this blend has sacc as well bugs. Do I need to secondary this after primary fermentation is through. It was still for a couple days and now it is looking much like a normal fermentation. Do I rack after this slows to get it off the yeast and let pelicle form, or do you leave it in primary for a year? What about autolysis of the sacc yeast? A little confused. Thanks Derek

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nothing to add, consider this a bookmark.

Actually, I asked some similar questions a week ago, may find a few answers here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/flanders-red-first-sour-122622/

Last edited by s3n8; 06-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Autolysing sacc yeast is food for brett. So you can rack or not, it won't make much of a difference.

I'm planning to go for a short, warm fermentation (2 months) at 80*F, and rack to a keg to let it age, so I can pitch another batch on the cake which will get blended with the first batch to taste. The second batch should get considerably more sour than the first since there will be more lacto and acetic bacteria. Depending on how sour it is I may rack and pitch a third time and let that ride, or stop there. The final batch will be left in the primary fermenter for 8-12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply