The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Roselare Blend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
ChrisKennedy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I pitched 10gal of Oud Bruin on a Roselare cake from 5 gallons of Flanders Red, and it was spewing CO2 like mad in 2 hours and it was done the next day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post

You could do that -- you'll be increasing the same balance of microbes though. I would buy a few bottles of your favorite Krieks, save the dregs, grow up a large amount of slurry and pitch that.

What Euro strain are you using in the others? I've read that WY3522 is an excellent base beer to funk out in secondary.
So you think just the one pack will create the same sourness as two packs? The ale I am using is Wyeast 1338, pretty neutral malty strain. I also emailed this question to wyeast and this was the response I got:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyeast labs
Kyle,

I would give your method a shot. Considering you are adding the beer to
a barrel, I think you should have good Brett flavor development and also
good acid production. Be sure to keep the hopping levels low to allow
the lactic acid bacteria to work well in the 5 gallons of Roselare
blend.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories

Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
simcoe4life
Recipes 

Personally I would go ahead and pitch the second pack if you can get one. But I would definitely add more bugs from other bottles to get a more complex final product (and more sour).

I mixed a pack of 3278 with a pack of 3763 in 5 gallons of primary and was very pleased with the results a year later.

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Old 06-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
So you think just the one pack will create the same sourness as two packs? The ale I am using is Wyeast 1338, pretty neutral malty strain. I also emailed this question to wyeast and this was the response I got:
An extra pack wont hurt, as some of the organisms are slower growers, and could take a very long time to build up to large quantities for a 15gal batch, personally I prefer adding some dregs of sour beers to the mix, otherwise it never gets sour enough - the barrel should help immensely though

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe4life View Post
Personally I would go ahead and pitch the second pack if you can get one. But I would definitely add more bugs from other bottles to get a more complex final product (and more sour).

I mixed a pack of 3278 with a pack of 3763 in 5 gallons of primary and was very pleased with the results a year later.
As far Ive heard both packs contain the same stuff, albeit in different proportions, hmm maybe its time for some streak plates..........

Quick Reply