Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Roselare Blend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 10 Posts

Default Roselare Blend

it's available now, this is a great blend.

I just put a smack pack in some SWMBO slayer. Wanted to sour a belgian blonde for mixing purposes later on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am brewing 15 gallons of Flanders Red this weekend with this blend

Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
it's available now, this is a great blend.

I just put a smack pack in some SWMBO slayer. Wanted to sour a belgian blonde for mixing purposes later on.
https://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/products/Wyeast-Labs-Roeselare-Ale-Blend-Private-Collection-3763PC-0102092

Edit:
So, I read this a day later and see that it says, " it's available now,"
not "is it available now."
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Anyone ever had an experience with bad flavors from this blend?

I put an English IPA onto Roeselare blend after it finished fermenting out (from about 1.065 to 1.015), its been about three months, small pellicle-like thing formed and I saw airlock activity (have not taken a gravity reading) and evidence of further fermentation, but it tastes like burnt rubber now...

Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 10 Posts

i'm not suprised with an IPA.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
Anyone ever had an experience with bad flavors from this blend?

I put an English IPA onto Roeselare blend after it finished fermenting out (from about 1.065 to 1.015), its been about three months, small pellicle-like thing formed and I saw airlock activity (have not taken a gravity reading) and evidence of further fermentation, but it tastes like burnt rubber now...
An English IPA is an unusual choice for this yeast, and I suspect some of the funky flavors are a function of hop/funk interactions and the age (or lack thereof) of the beer. Three months is just barely out of the womb for the bugs in this blend.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Well, it wasn't really an IPA, it was supposed to be a hoppy english pale, but I got really poor hop utilization...we'll see what happens after a year.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
simcoe4life
Recipes 

I wouldn't use the Roselare blend with an IPA. It works really well in ales with low low IBUs. I made a Flemish Red with it in May 2008 and had a nice, sour, beer by middle of August. It fermented in a hot room of my house all summer at 77-83F. I primaried with it for 5 weeks, out of laziness. The brett took hold and the beer was awesome. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought it needed 6 months at the very least.

Also in May of 2008 I mixed the Roselare blend with Wyeast 3278 (both in primary together). A year later I've got one >>incredible<< sour beer.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright, like I stated before I will be brewing one of these this Sunday. But the homebrew store only had one pack of roeselare, so I am going to ferment 5 gallons of it with that in the primary and the other ten I will use a European ale strain. I will then blend these once it is time to rack off the ale strain and let them chill in a barrel for a year or so. My question is will this be enough of the bugs to sour or should I mail order another pack and pitch it when I blend them all into the barrel? I want this to be really sour, like Ommegang Rogue Grand Cru kinda sour...so I am thinking I will either get another pack of this or just buy a pack of pure pedio

One more thing, for those of you who primary fermented with the roeselare how long did it take before krausen dropped? I assume it was about the same as a regular ale fermentation since I have heard it is just a cal ale strain.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
simcoe4life
Recipes 

>>should I mail order another pack and pitch it when I blend them all into the barrel?<<

You could do that -- you'll be increasing the same balance of microbes though. I would buy a few bottles of your favorite Krieks, save the dregs, grow up a large amount of slurry and pitch that.

What Euro strain are you using in the others? I've read that WY3522 is an excellent base beer to funk out in secondary.

>>One more thing, for those of you who primary fermented with the roeselare how long did it take before krausen dropped? I assume it was about the same as a regular ale fermentation since I have heard it is just a cal ale strain.<<

It truly varies. My 10 gallons of sour pale was primaried with it and one half of it took off SO FAST and SO CRAZY that by the second day I needed a blow off tube! No joke! One week later it was done. The other half by comparison took just under three weeks and was not as active. I have no idea why this happened.

Secondary: Belgian Pale, Saison d'Lupulin, Farmhouse IPA

Kegged: Saison d'Lupulin

Sour Secondary: Cabernet Oud Bruin, Sour Cherry Oud Bruin, Sour Ale base, Kriek, Wild Night, Wild Night w/Blueberries, Wild Noel

Sour Cellared: Cabernet Lambic, Wild American, Merlot Lambic, Namaste Golden Ale, Saison Twenty-Three, Spring Equinox Saison, Belgian Pale, Orval Clone, Chardonnay Saison, Sour Cherry Saison, Cabernet Flemish Red, Bordeaux Lambic

Quick Reply