Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > roselaire blend during primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
thomasgorff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default roselaire blend during primary

Just out of curiosity, I have brewed a batch of beer using roselaire blend in the primary fermentation as the primary blend of yeast. Its been about 5 months and I have read that this probably isnt the best method to getting a good sour beer. Non the less, this is what I did as a brewer new to this style. Just wondering if anybody has taken this approach and what the result was. Thanks, probably just need to taste it and find out. Also, this fermentation has been entirely in a plastic bucket. I have read that this isnt the best method either bc of the permeability of plastic. Worst comes to worse I may just end up blending this batch with something else. Let me know your thoughts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1) Pitching the blend at the start supposedly helps increase sourness. I usually pitch the bugs when I transfer to secondary after a week so that I don't contaminate my plastic fermenters. I don't think you have any problems with your first issue.

2) I've used both glass and HDPE side-by-side, and after 8 months could not tell the difference between the 2 beers. Providing you don't keep opening the lid, I don't think you will have any problem.

Just place it in the corner and forget about it for another 6 months.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3299 Times on 2056 Posts
Likes Given: 2822

You did the right thing to pitch the roeselare in the primary. I've made 4 sour beers (2 flanders reds and 2 browns) this way and they came out very sour. They were fairly sour at 2 months.

Buckets are probably a mistake. I don't know about the O2 permeability, but the lid fit would give me concern. Letting too much oxygen in there will result in ascetic acid production - that's vinegar. Believe me, you'll taste it if it's there. A little is OK and a part of the style. A lot might make you use it for salad dressing.

I've used both glass carboys and better bottles and fermented for nearly a year. I did not have any problem with the plastic better bottle. Judges told me I brewed a Russian River supplication clone.

You haven't tasted it in 5 months? You're better than I.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I pitched Roselare only in the primary and it can increase the speed and amount of sourness you get, although I think the IBUs in your recipe can play a role in that too. Nothing wrong with what you did on either point.
If it's been 5 months I would give it a sample - it may have already soured enough for your tastes, since Roselare in primary will probably sour quicker. If it's not ready yet, put it back in the corner and forget about it for a while longer.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
thomasgorff
Recipes 

That is all great news. Everything that I have read makes it seem like my beer was destined to fail. So after I taste it, if it is at the desired sourness, is it ok to bottle? If I condition bottle this, will I need to add yeast for carbonation? If so, any recommendations? Finally, I have read that you cannot wash and reuse the yeast, Has any one tried?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3299 Times on 2056 Posts
Likes Given: 2822

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgorff View Post
That is all great news. Everything that I have read makes it seem like my beer was destined to fail. So after I taste it, if it is at the desired sourness, is it ok to bottle? If I condition bottle this, will I need to add yeast for carbonation? If so, any recommendations? Finally, I have read that you cannot wash and reuse the yeast, Has any one tried?
I don't think I added more yeast when I bottled and it carbed fine.

It's OK to bottle when you like the taste.

I reused the yeast from a 9 month old flanders red that was never put on secondary. The yeast made an even better flanders red the second time.

Then, I moved that second flanders red to a secondary, and used that same yeast to make a sour brown. That brown is still cooking. IT's sour.

I think there's some truth to the wisdom that the blend ratio gets screwed up when reusing the yeast. But I can tell you that it still makes great sours. I wish you could try mine, I think you'd agree.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
I wish you could try mine, I think you'd agree.
I'd be willing to make that sacrifice

Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
I wish you could try mine, I think you'd agree.
I'd be willing to make that sacrifice

Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgorff View Post
If I condition bottle this, will I need to add yeast for carbonation? If so, any recommendations? Finally, I have read that you cannot wash and reuse the yeast, Has any one tried?
No, you don't need to add yeast. Maybe if you let it go for over a year. There should be plenty of Brett around to carbonate for up to 18 months.

Don't wash the cake. Re-use it as is. You might want to add some fresh sacc yeast as that is the first to die. If you are concerned about it getting too sour, you might just want to use a part of the cake ..... after all, some batches just get the sour going by using the dregs from a single bottle.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
thomasgorff
Recipes 

good stuff, I am planning on tasting it today (stored safely at a friends house). After popping the lid I am going to lose the co2 buffer and let o2 into the fermenter. Would it be worth adding a little bit of sugar water solution back into the fermenter after I close it to wake the yeast up and create more co2?

Quick Reply