Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Repitch on Brett cake, and keeping Lacto alive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Repitch on Brett cake, and keeping Lacto alive

I will ferment 2.5 gallons of 1030-1040 wort with Brett. C. (with a proper starter before, from a WL vial). Could I repitch a 1060-1070 wort (i'm thinking maybe 1.5-2 gallons) on the cake, when I rack the first beer off, after 3 or 4 weeks?

Another part of the 1030's wort will be fermented with lactobacillus. Would It be possible to harvest and keet the lacto alive for a few months, so I could reuse it to ferment out my very large crop of hot peppers at the end of summer?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I have repitched on Brett cakes a few times, but IME it takes longer than 3-4 weeks to achieve the Brett character I am looking for.

You can certainly save Lactobacillus, in fact it usually manages a freeze/thaw cycle better than yeast. I would recommend freezing a few small samples of washed cells with some fresh wort and glycerol (aka glycerin) to ensure viability after a few months of storage.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox
I have repitched on Brett cakes a few times, but IME it takes longer than 3-4 weeks to achieve the Brett character I am looking for.

You can certainly save Lactobacillus, in fact it usually manages a freeze/thaw cycle better than yeast. I would recommend freezing a few small samples of washed cells with some fresh wort and glycerol (aka glycerin) to ensure viability after a few months of storage.
More than 4 weeks? I'm talking about a primary ferment with brett, not a secondary.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post
More than 4 weeks? I'm talking about a primary ferment with brett, not a secondary.
In that case, the bretty characteristics will generally be milder. It'll have its own yeast flavor after a month or so but it won't be what you typically think of as brett. Regardless, it'll be tasty.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
In that case, the bretty characteristics will generally be milder. It'll have its own yeast flavor after a month or so but it won't be what you typically think of as brett. Regardless, it'll be tasty.
Yhea I know! That Brett CDA is going to be delicious!

Quick Reply