Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Re-Use Dry Hops to Replace Aged Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Default Re-Use Dry Hops to Replace Aged Hops

So I was kegging some California Common last night that I dry hopped with Northern Brewer. I was thinking it seems like such a waste to throw my dry hops. People have reused them before, it was discussed in this old thread.
I was just wondering if anyone sees why it is not a good substitute for Aged Hops. Isn't the main reason to age hops to remove the hop aroma and flavor. Let me know if I'm missing something but I think I'm going to start saving all my used dry hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Aged hops have that kind of cheesy flavor and aroma that comes from oxidation.You need that combination of oxidation and age to get that characteristic flavor and aroma. You are not going to get it from hops that have already been used. Those hops are just spent.. Granted, I haven't visited the thread you spoke of, but come on, are hops really THAT expensive that you have to re-use them? It just seems wrong to me.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Dryhopping with them would only use some of their aromatic qualities right? So you could conceivably use them for bittering in another batch. However I think to go along with aged hops the AA is almost diminished so you get hardly any IBUs from them. You're probably have good AA left so I wouldn't use them in something that you only want the anti-bacterial factor.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Almighty
Recipes 

From what I have read you want to age your hops past the "cheesy" phase.

Yes, hops are not a huge expense but I think it is smart to reuse as much as you can. And I'm always looking for ways to cut costs and increase efficiency because that means I can make more beer for the same price/effort.
Plus it takes a long time to age hops to that point and this way seems like it may get the same result.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post

Yes, hops are not a huge expense but I think it is smart to reuse as much as you can. And I'm always looking for ways to cut costs and increase efficiency because that means I can make more beer for the same price/effort.
Plus it takes a long time to age hops to that point and this way seems like it may get the same result.
Yeah you want them way past the cheesy state. Lambic breweries keep them in a hot attic for like 3 years.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Dryhopping with them would only use some of their aromatic qualities right? So you could conceivably use them for bittering in another batch. However I think to go along with aged hops the AA is almost diminished so you get hardly any IBUs from them. You're probably have good AA left so I wouldn't use them in something that you only want the anti-bacterial factor.
This....

+1 on reusing but not for this application

Last edited by King of Cascade; 09-24-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added

Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Almighty
Recipes 

Well for some sour beers you want some bitterness but no hop aroma so I thought that would work well. And assuming they are somewhat low alpha hops because they are being used for aroma.
I guess for beers where you want to add hops just for antibacterial purposes but keep the bitterness low this won't work.
That raises another question of what quantity of hops do you need add to these sour beers like a lambic to have the antibacterial effects work?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
i don't think they ever age past their cheesy phase and that's why traditional lambics are boiled for so long. to drive off those cheesy aromas and/or flavors. i would be afraid if you already dry hopped with them that you've lost your preservative qualities which the aged hops never lose.

i would definitely not reuse them for a style requiring so much patience. reusing them at all is questionable but your choice. personally i wouldn't do it for any beer...

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Quick Reply